Logo

318 LM Missing timing index. What to do

My 318 LM is missing the timing index. How do I set the timing? I have been looking for the part, but no luck yet. There is a mark on the flywheel visible through a port in the bell housing. Also there is a stationary index attatched to the inside of the bell housing. What are these for?

There should be a paint mark on the flywheel, and an arrow-shaped pointer on the bell housing. If neither of these exist, and there's nothing in front of the motor either, then you'll need to 'degree' the flywheel and make up your own pointer.

Jeff

My flywheel had small score marks in it in lieu of paint marks. They were pretty faint after 40 years, but they were still visible and when the flywheel was cleaned and a little crayon rubbed on, they jumped right out.

The point of the arrow is 0 degrees (TDC). One side of the arrow is 5 degrees advance for a reverse rotator, and the other side is 5 dgrees advance for the normal rotation motors.

Jeff

Jeff, I always get differing opinions on this. Is timing set propperly (5 deg BTDC) when the groove on the flywheel is centered with the pointer, or is the groove supposed to be 5 degrees away from the pointer? If the answer is 5 deg away from the pointer, I guess you need an advance featured timing light since there are no graduations on the flywheel?

The POINT of the arrow pointer is 0 degrees. The advance setting point is on either SIDE of the arrow pointer, one side for reverse rotators and the other side for normal rotation engines.

Jeff

So what you are saying is that I don't need the timing index at the front of the engine? Rather, I can just use the pointer and groove mentioned above?

Thanks Fastjeff, I'll do it. This is though, that my manual specifies 2.5 deg BTC. I guess in 1970 they hadn't started using the term "BTDC". So should I just split the "index pointer" with the groove? In essence, if the width of the pointer represents a total of 10 deg, then 2.5 deg should be represented by 1/4 the width of the pointer.

I have a similar issue, found the pointer on the rear of the engine used atiming light and cant seem to find the mark on the flywheel. Any ideas on how to locate it to better mark. Is it a groove like the on balancer?

I am aslo in the process of reassembling my engine.

I did not find any markers on the flywheel but did find it on the Flexplate

Found a red dot . I had my engine at TDC on the # 1 cylinder and the pointer and the dot were matched.

I am not sure but I believe that the Flexplate can only be installed one way.

I have not fully assembled the engine so I have not confirmed that this is the right way to go. ??

The mark is on the flywheel, not the flexplate. When you can't find the mark with the timing light, the usual reason is that you used the wrong cylinder. Either that or your timing is WAY off.

Jeff

Back