I can use to soak my 3.5 carb in that is
safe to leave the plastic parts in the throttle body
My engine is a 2010 4 stroke 3.5
I have the factory manual and it lists a low speed
jet but it appears that it is a air jet open to the
atmosphere can you bring me up to speed how
it works ?
I have the carb stripped down but im afraid I will
break the choke assembly trying to remove it.
Ed

The hard plastic parts for choke, etc, for the carb can stay on. Use a 1-gallon (or 5-gallon) submersion "dip" type cleaner, available with a basket already in the can. Follow the instructions on the can. Soak for about 3 hours at room temperature. You can then either wash it out with warm water, or spray it out with gumout type spray to remove dip residue.

Year of manufacture is unimportant. Precise model is critical. I assume you have an MFS3.5B?

OK, so if you have an MFS3.5A, as opposed to a B... Not sure which manuals you have...

See the parts catalog at http://www.internetoutboards.com/Pa...s Catalog MFS2-3.5A (2006) - (00221052-0).pdf You can get a Factory Service manual from any dealer, including me.

The slow jet is in fact an air bleed. Remember that mixture can be determined by adjusting either fuel (as in the main jet) or air (just as a choke butterfly restricts air.) There is also a pilot screw (with requisite EPA-mandated brass plug to prevent adjusting.) I typically do not advise adjusting the pilot screw in the field, as they are set by instrument at the factory. Very slight changes to the screw have major effects on driveability. The only way to set one in the field is with a dead-accurate shop tach and a good ear, and even then, I only recommend that be done as a last resort, by experienced mechanics.

The big thing on these ultra-lean carbs is to make sure they are super-squeaky-clean. Seemingly minor varnish deposits in the low speed circuit can have a profound effect on mixtures.

Once the carb is clean and running properly, remember to run the carb dry at the end of the day to prevent varnishing. Stabilizer helps to suspend water that is attracted by E-10, but does little to prevent varnishing as the fuel evaporates from the carb.

You are in warranty. If the carb is 100% clean, and not suffering from bad fuel/E-10/water damage, and you haven't violated the EPA pilot screw plug, and it still won't run correctly... get to a dealer for warranty service.

Thank you Paul
I purchased the factory manual when I bought the motor.
went to restart the motor last nite and now have no
spark.
I checked the kill switch its ok.
Iwill follow the trouble shooting chart in the manual
to-day to check out the igniter.
I wish my local tohatsu wasnt in a state of changing
onwership

Back