Logo

60 HP Mercury circa 1988 S/N A108912 turns over, has spark and gas, wont fire

Sounds like a fuel problem. Does it start/fire when you prime directly in the carb? If so, you might have to go through the fuel system and eliminate things as you go. May invole removing and cleaning carb and filter. Does the fuel pump pump gas? Eliminate!!

I have not done a compression test other than blocking the spark plug hole with my thumb and getting a big push. The fuel is 4-5 weeks old with stabilizer added. I have sprayed premix directly into the carb while turning the motor over without any signs of life. The motor turns over vehemently and there is spark at all three plugs. I am baffled. I always thought Spark, Fuel , compression you are good. Not so. Help!

The thumb test won't tell you if your compression is high enough. Even if you were only getting 80psi it would still push your thumb off the sparkplug hole, and 80 psi isn't enough to get ignition. If you're certain you're getting fuel and spark, you should check the compression to ensure this isn't the problem.

IF that has the enrichment system instead of a choke, the passages for fuel tend to clog over time so it doesn't get going. Mine did that.

Here's what to do: To get it started, spray some gas (premixed with oil) in the open throat of the carbs, throttle open. Then try to fire it up. When it's running and warmed up, work the enrichener a few times, backing off when the motor starts loading up and trying to stall. That will clear the passages so it'll cold start for you.

Jeff

Back