Logo

Timing questions

So I'm still questioning some timing issues. 5.7 2006 carbed crusader with Mallory unilite electronic ignition. My mechanic set timing at 12 deg, I set up the light on what I thought was #1 plug, and couldn't see the marks at all when it was running. I checked every plug wire until I could see marks and did verify it to be set at 12 deg like the mechanic said, but it was not on #1 plug.....
My question is this, looking at my engine from the prop side (rear) looking forward towards the pulleys, #1 should be all the way forward on my left side correct?
Question two, the plug that I was connected to when i could see marks was on the right side of the engine. What does that mean? Am I confused about #1 plug? Did the balancer slip? Is the distributor not set in correctly?
the boat runs fine, starts good just doesn't tach up evenly between motors. I was questioning total advance and I didn't think the mechanic timed it correctly according to specs of 26deg at 4000. He would have been closer to 2 deg instead of 12 initial. Please enlighten me.
Steve

the attachment is from the 2008 classic owner's guide. The GM based "V" engines have had the same cylinder numbering scheme since before I was born. Attachment should answer number 1.

Number two depends upon which one on the RHS you were using as well as how you made this determination.

When in doubt, the best method to select a cylinder's spark plug lead is from the spark plug, NOT the distributor cap.

Balancers "spinning" do happen much very infrequent on most pleasure boats.

The definative test is to get the #1 piston at TDC. Like you say, forward left side. You can get a special tool for this, or carefully use a welding rod to determine TDC thru the spark plug hole.

Just FYI - I did upload the attachment.....turns out there is a limit to what you can upload; 1.00MB. I'm at 1.005MB.

Thanks guys, I got it timed at 26deg at 4000 rpms now. Got 3 sets of props, all with different pitches and will have a pressure washed bottom before trials on Tuesday. I will clean my flame arrestors and watch and record when the secondaries open on my carbs and record all floscan readings and rpm / mph to finally find my best efficiency. Finally, I will shut down ASAP from cruise speed and check spark plugs when the engine cools a bit and I will know if I can change jets or rods in my 1409's and look for caramel color on plugs and NOT WHITE. All this I learned from you guys, because you are the BEST.
Steve

When it comes to checking plugs, get an illuminated magnifier. you need to let the engine run a bit before the plugs have a chance to color and, with today's gasoline, you may not see much. You want to check for color at the base of the insulator. Other items that can help are valve color and piston color. Clay red exhaust valves are a good sign of proper A/F ratio.

The 1409's are like most carbs in that they have a tunable power system. The rods and jets are other options, if required, as well. a vacuum gauge is another item to record data from.

Steve, I'm coming in very late on this thread. Just have a comment or two here.

We really should be talking Starboard and Port.... Forward and AFT in order to have a decent conversation here. And then whether V-drives or straight I/Bs.

# 1 is going to be the same cylinder for either LH (standard) rotation, or RH (reverse) rotation SBC engines.
The direction in which you strobe the marks will depend on which hand the engine is.
Yes, the image posted is correct for a LH (standard) rotation engine.
(rotation is always determined as if viewing the flywheel end)

Steve, for your mechanic to be setting BASE @ 12* and calling it good, is a disservice to those who's engines he is working on, IMO. Particularly for Marine engines.
You've done the right thing by varifying TA.... of which is very critical on any marine Gasser.
Although I would question why a TA of 26* @ 4k rpm????? That would appear to be rather late.
This engine should be capable of 26* @ closer to 3,200/3,400 rpm.

Last edited:
Thanks Rick,
I got it timed right and found the right plug the second time around. The motor is at total advance around 3300 at 26deg, but the spec says at 4000. It just stops advancing at about 3300 and stays constant all the way to 4000. Thankyou everyone for the input.
Steve

That's fine. The motor can use more advance at 3,000 for gas mileage without pinging.

Note: The Mopar owner's manual it says that the motor was designed to run on 86 octane gas. Even with the ethanol crap in today's gas, most marinas sell 89 octane, so more spark advance coming in sooner is not harmfuul.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff...Their Brick, NJ store is only a few miles away and that new GIGANTIC West Marine is across the street....Ain't been there in a LONG time.

It is good the advance stops long before you reach 4000. That's just the value they specified to test it at. Since you've measured it, now you know where it peaks and there isn't much need to go past it in the future.

Al, just make sure you check the thing when you use it. The directions should be clear on this. If not, I can send you some hints via email.

Back