Logo

aq 125 a with 270 outdrive other engine compatability with this outdrive?

moto520

Hello,
I just aquired a really clean 84 bayliner capri cuddy with a aq 125 engine and 270 outdrive.
It was 180 degrees out of time and the firing order was way off . I got it running and put her in the water . It was running cool and with good oil pressure and then started knocking and locked up . Is the another engine ( bigger) that will mate up to this outdrive ?
Im debating on rebuilding the engine or going to another bigger one if possible . Also does jasper or any other company have these engines ?
Any help would be appreciated
moto

Find a good used running Volvo Penta OHC 4. These are very costly to over-haul.

All OHC 4's use the same over-all drive ratio, of which is 2.15:1.
One difference may be in the drive coupler spline count, and the PDS.

ps Im a little puzzed about one more thing > on this bayliner there is no engine mounts from the engine to stringers and looks like never a place for one . the motor is held at the transom . Is this normal . Im wondering if someone has done work to this boat but the flooring and everything appears factory . Is this how the engine mounts up ?
This is the first ever boat Ive had with a volvo setup all have been mercruiser . I do like the smoothness of shift which was noticed right away when it was running.
moto

Yes, your engine is "Cantilever" hung..... no fwd engine mounts!
As long as the transom core remains good, so will your engine mounting!
If the core becomes wet, deteriorated, etc............, you will notice an increasing gap around the lower perimeter of the Volvo transom shield.

Yes, your engine is "Cantilever" hung..... no fwd engine mounts!
As long as the transom core remains good, so will your engine mounting!
If the core becomes wet, deteriorated, etc............, you will notice an increasing gap around the lower perimeter of the Volvo transom shield.

However it is never a bad idea to add front engine mounts, like many have done. I hate to see that mass hanging cantilevered from the transom. It is quite the load.

Have a great day

Rob.

Well i picked up a good aq 145 with front engine mounts and intend to install it .
I need a engine gasket and cooling kit and does anyone know what an aq 145 is rated at hp wise , Where to get a gasket set?

The rating is 138 HP @ 5500 RPM.

What engine is yours, AQ145A or AQ145B? The former is a B23 block and the latter is a B230 block. For the former, a gasket kit for a 244 Volvo 83-84 will work, and for the latter you need a gasket set for a 244 Volvo 85-93.

The cantilever hung engine is not an issue as long as your transom core is good.
If you think about this, the weight of that little engine is NOTHING compared to the torque that the Forward Propulsion provides to the stern..... and with a leverage advantage too boot!

If your core is soft....., you have greater issues!

noope the transom is solid as is the boat overall . Im trying to identify which engine block it is but from everything I can tell its the same as the aq 125 engine that was in there except it has two carbs. There is no tag on the block like with the 125 engine I pulled the head and the bore measures the same as the 125 but I didnt check the stroke . Any comments there ? Im not familiar with these volvo engines so any info would help .

Ive looked but so far cannot find anything online relating to the head torque specs on these engines . Does anyone know ? This is why I have never owned anything but mercruiser .

Search the forum, the torques have been posted here several times. Also, consider buying the Seloc repair manual or the OEM manual for your engine, they have virtually all the relevant information you need.

............ This is why I have never owned anything but mercruiser.
Well, after you get the bugs worked out, and you experience this type of gear engagement (no SA to deal with), you hopefully won't go back! :D

Search the forum, the torques have been posted here several times. Also, consider buying the Seloc repair manual or the OEM manual for your engine, they have virtually all the relevant information you need.
Ditto! You really need to have a good manual anyway.
It will also offer you the Ignition timing specs for BASE and TA.

I just need to know what the head bolt torque is and if they are torque to yeild bolts
i could have this engine in the boat and running in an afternoon if I could find this out .

well the boat runs really good , Im surprised by the little 4 banger . Seems to make pretty good torque and very responsive .
I havent looked closely yet at the lower unit but I noticed its raising up when I reverse . Is this 270 supposed to lock down ? Im a mercruiser man so Im not familiar with these much .
appreciate the help
I was able to get all the torque specs from a dealer in Michigan over the phone in about 5 minutes .

Yes, the outdrive is supposed to lock down when in reverse.

Probably best to wait until you have the manual in front of you to get an understanding of how the tilt mechanism and locking pawls work. It's just so much easier after you've read the manual and have gone through all the recommended adjustments.

Until you manual arrives, you could also try searching the forum since this has been discussed before. At least that way, you would have a decent idea of where to start when you get the manual.

P.S. - In case it hasn't been mentioned before - having a manual really helps.

For rebui;d and tune-up specs you can purchase a Seloc manual for the engine or the Volvo websire has some owners manuals for frrde download and the still sell shop manuals for most of their engins and outdrives. I have 2 AQ-130 C/D engines with no marking plates left on the hooked to them fot ID but I know ithey are one of the 2 models because of the dual carbs. I like the advise about the 4cyl ohc engines but are there any other engines out there that might fit the pair of 270 outdrives I have on my boat. All I really need is engins to put this boat in the water. And what is the max horse power rating fot the 2.15/1 gear ratio?

Back