Logo

Coolant question

rmm

Regular Contributor
What would happen if coolant mix was not correct? Say too much coolant or too much water? Could that cause a higher temps? Also how can I check it without draining and refilling, are those coolant testers from the auto store any good that show the temp range are good to?

too much coolant will inhibit heat transfer and you cood run warm/hot.

too little coolant and you run into corrosion risks and freeze damage. As long as it is summer time, freezing isn't an issue; use of a corrosion inhibitor will allow use of plain water as the ideal coolant.

The 'freeze point' testers determine the concentration/freeze point/boiling point by measuring the specific gravity of the mixture. They are cost effective as long as they are cared for properly.

check out the Thexton antifreeze testers. Sears has these as well.
Like MM said, you want to minimize the anti-freeze, consistent with your wintertime requirements. I use only Penray 2000, but I don't have to worry about freezing at all. Penray contains anti-corrosion and lube, but no anti-freeze at all. If you need more than 40% glycol in your mix, consider adding a bottle of Water wetter to increase the thermal conductivity of the solution.

Last edited:
Possibly; if the cooling system has 100% gylcol in it, it won't cool worth a $%^#$.

One thing about measuring the concentration - forget the exact value - but somewhere around 75%, the specific gravity curve 'reverses'. Using the 75% figure, if the tester shows 70%, it could very well be 80%..

get a tester and measure it. They aren't expensive and your local 'big box' auto store may have one in their 'loaner box'.

Back