Logo

1966 Chrysler speed boat with Volvo penta 4cyl I/O

danj4164

Hi everyone,

My name is Dan and I am from the Lansing area of Michigan. I have recently purchased a 1966 Chrysler speed boat with Volvo penta 4cyl I/O. I am looking for any info to where to buy parts and a service manual for the engine and out drive. The tag on the engine reads AO120/200. It has the electric lift for the out drive, the shaft is bent and I am working on straightening it. I would like to get it running and need to know how to check the oil level in the out drive.

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.:)

Are you sure is says 120. That's a little later engine but very well have been repowered. Is it an iron head/w pushrods or an overhead cam/aluminum head engine.
That year boat should have had maybe a 115 or 110 engine in it.
The 200 should have a dipstick in the middle of the top of the outdrive with a flat spot on the end of it. The oil level is 3/4 the way up the FLATSPOT not the dipstick. I may have an extra drive manual, I'll check.

It does not have an overhead cam, looks to be a iron head with pushrods. It could have been repowered I don't know much of the history of the boat. Currently working on getting it to run. It has dual Stromberg carbs on it if this helps.

Thanks for the response,
Dan

We had an aq120 in our '67 runabout when I was younger. Many good memories were made.

Volvo came out with tha aq120b in the late 70s which was an OHC engine.

I'm afraid parts may be very tough to find. What kind of parts are you looking for?

Last edited:
I have hooked op muffs to the outdrive and am working on getting this boat running, one question though. when the muffs are hooked up with the water on the water pours out below the muffs through a hole in the lower unit, is there a plug missing or is this normal? It is a 200 outdrive.

Thanks

the engine you are describing is a b18 based engine,iron head and twin strombergs,that engine was used between 1961 till 1968 so its probably original.just for the record,thats a cam in block engine with overhead pushrod operated valves.

Okay, I have got the boat running and on the water. I had to disassemble the carbs and clean and put rebuild kits in them. It seems to run good but will not plane out on the water. The moter will not spin over 2800 rpms under load. It doesn't bog down or seem to lose power but it is like it has a govener that will not allow it to rev any higher. I have checked the fuel pump and it is pumping good. I have also checked the compression and all are between 125 and 140. The throttle plates open all the way under full throttle. It will rev to 5000 no problem with no load (neutral). What could be the problem?? I am running out of ideas.

Thanks, Dan

Can you confirm you have the dwell set to 60 deg. and the timing set to 10* BTDC?

Have you done a valve adjustment? What pitch prop are you running?

Back