Logo

Old Mercruiser Stator

20miler

Contributing Member
Hi Guys,

Well I put my new motor with a new stator in and the batteries are not charging. Can anyone tell me the basics of wiring this to a PERKO #1#2 battery selector. Something doesnt make sense. I see no wires going back from the regulator to the battery?? How does the old stator return a charge in terms of the wire route?

You need to get a manual, You have a lot of questions that would be easily answered thru a manual.

Each battery + cable is connected to the switch. Both - cables are connected to the engine. A third + cable from the switch goes to the starter. There is not anything else to change on the engine wiring. I would not try to charge both batteries w/the 470 OE alternator system. The regulator output connects to the starter heavy red + cable.

thanks guyjg thats what I thought. there is just no way that thing would charge BOTH. cant get over that its new and still not worth spit. so the regulator puts the juice back through the starter cable and thats it huh? No charging cable.

thanks guyjg thats what I thought. there is just no way that thing would charge BOTH. cant get over that its new and still not worth spit. so the regulator puts the juice back through the starter cable and thats it huh? No charging cable.

Is this the 470 mcm water cooled voltage regulator you have ?

yes it is yessssssss

upon the forum members suggestions I converted my water cooled regulator with the breeze works lower mount kit...

read my posting also [470 regulator issues ] I have picture with the alternator installed..

300.oo for kit but it works better than the OEM regulator charging system because it does not produce pulsating current/voltage ...It works so far just like a vehicle charging system with 3 wire alternator which gives good power to charge at Idle , rated at 50amps more than I wil use ...

this year I also installed the pertronix 1146A ignitor kit ...with the OEM points gone not only does the engine have more power / throttle response I found that the radio ignition noise is gone ...

thank you again CAT! interesting about the radio noise. the thought of having points gives me the heebie jeebies. this is 2010 after all.

thank you again CAT! interesting about the radio noise. the thought of having points gives me the heebie jeebies. this is 2010 after all.

it may be 2010 but because of the uncertainty of operation may will not change over to the available technology to improve on engine reliability..

never did like points especially with all the corrosion in boating...then I also believe that oem regulator with the pulsating output didn't help ..

well I might do that one upgrade. but I dont think I will go with an alternator in the bilge, when I can get a better charge from a yamaha kicker.

Having the battery switch in'both' won't charge both batteries effectively regardless of how big your alternator is. The two batteries will never be at exactly the same state of charge. When connected in parallel (through the isolation switch in 'both') one batterey will always be a load to the the other... and when one weaker battery finally gives up the the ship for good (cell shorts, reverses, etc.) that battery becomes a HUGE load on the sole remaining good battery, leaving you DIW.
My advice:
Use #1 battery on odd days, use #2 on even days. If you don't use the boat at least weekly, switch the battery to the other battery after reaching your first destination, or after an hour or so of running. Use "both" only when trying to start the engine with weak batteries... gives you a bunch more current capacity you'll need when the voltage is low.

This being 2010 and having points gives you the heebie jeebies, but having a 470 doesn't ?

I can see you wanting to keep the 470, i wouldn't but i can understand. Power to weight can't be beat.

However the design is so bad so flawed i wouldn't take one for free. Here in NJ boats are laying around almost free with the 470 in them, i know when i was looking for a 4 cylinder to replace my 120 i went looking. There was boats actually with trees growing theu the hulls with your motor in them..

Why a person who had the chance to trade out a f--ked up 470 with another and not a well designed motor is beyond me.

Oh well each to his own they say.

To your problem, rip out that system go stick on a bracket and mount a a marine alternator, run some wire and be done with it.

Oh i would stay away from the 2 battery system for now till you have your charging system up and running correctly.

Then get a modern 2 battery switch, they sell them here and everywhere.

But then again thats me.

Say what you want about points i still have them, my boat has been running with it when it was built in 86' and i have no freekin problems with it. I sand the points at the beginning of the season check gap and i run all summer long .

Chief I didnt mean to hit a nerve pal. Here in puget sound/salish sea/ inside passage we but MANY NM on. 150-1500. This was my original plan. I put about 800 hr on mine last year! Find me a gas engine that goes 4 GPH at cruise? Now multiply that by 100 now by $5.00= gotta solution? (saliboat) Didnt think so.

It aint an adventure without an engine problem or two, and I moor at the largest commercial marina on the west coast. For me its a matter of minimizing risk with the hand I've been dealt. Hence the peculiarities! FYI Putting an alt in the bilge 3" out of water aint my style, and I liked CATS idea about ditching points!

Don't worry about Chief 20miler, some days he's ALL nerve. Must be having those teenage boys around the house that does that to a guy.

There are plenty of running 470's still out there even in salt water environments (mine included) and plenty of 4.3L and 5.7L in the scrap pile. And anything like the pertronix system to keep it more dependable the better. It's a matter of choice and experience.

LOL- He also doesnt know this is my 26th boat. And I always like a new challenge. The 470 is a real curiosity, I think we can all agree! Come down to Salmon Bay Puget Sounder for a good BS session if you are down my way! I truly appreciate all perspectives on these matters.

Must be that east coast bias again. :D They think we just paddle around in canoes out west. Salmon bay that's inside the locks isn't it? I was just down at Elliott bay hanging on my neighbors sail boat having G&Ts watching the sun go down the night before last. Good times. I can't think of a better place than Puget Sound/vancouver island in the summer time.

Back on topic I have seen two battery systems on a 470 before but I have no idea about hooking them up. The Perko diagram might help I've it seen on here before. I only have room for one battery on my boat so I keep a portable start-pack on board just in case.

Chief I didnt mean to hit a nerve pal. Here in puget sound/salish sea/ inside passage we but MANY NM on. 150-1500. This was my original plan. I put about 800 hr on mine last year! Find me a gas engine that goes 4 GPH at cruise? Now multiply that by 100 now by $5.00= gotta solution? (saliboat) Didnt think so.

It aint an adventure without an engine problem or two, and I moor at the largest commercial marina on the west coast. For me its a matter of minimizing risk with the hand I've been dealt. Hence the peculiarities! FYI Putting an alt in the bilge 3" out of water aint my style, and I liked CATS idea about ditching points!

the 470 engine is very good on fuel...if you keep it at 3200rpm it will go far on a small amount of fuel...

Back