Logo

engine fuel starvation help

ONABOATMAN

Hello,
My port engine continues to die on me. The problem started last year when ramping up to higher RPM after about ten minutes or idling for an extended period of time, the engine would pop and die. Attempts to immediately restart would fail. After setting for +/- 20 minutes the engine would restart fine with a repeat of the above. At the end of last boating season I rebuilt the Holley 4160 four-barrel carburetor and reinstalled this spring thinking it would solve the problem. Checked the gas tank, fuel pickup and lines to the fuel pump and carburetor. Everything was clear and clean. Went out last weekend for the first time this season and after ramping up the RPM for more than ten minutes, the port engine popped and died just like last year. The engine later restarted easily for idling into the marina. My backyard mechanic friend suggested vapor lock or ignition coil? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

anti-syphon valve?

separate or common tank?

You can verify the issue as fuel related by taking a timing light on the next run. (rule out the ignition) if it is ignition, you won't get any strobe from the light. you can use the coil wire or any spark plug lead for the source.

The gas tank is common. We switched the pickup lines with the other engine to test anti-syphon problem and found none. Forgot to mention that the engines are 1977 vintage PCM Ford Windsor 351. Engine runs strong and smooth.

strong and smooth - when not acting up.

I'd continue with the diagnosis - see if it is lack of ignition or lack of fuel that is causing the problem.

If most of the engines are original, the cause could lie anywhere. Having to guess, I'd lean with the rubber parts in the fuel system going before the electron moving stuff.

Have taken the boat out twice since my first post. The first time ramped engines up to 1500 rpm w/o any problem. Yesterday ran both engines at 2800 rpm for at lease 30 minutes w/o any problem. Somehow, problem solved.... for now.

Thanks for the support makomark. I hope this issue is gone.

Back