Logo

Another issue

whity

I posted about the flooding issue I had a few weeks ago. Fixed that problem, but now it starts and idols fine but after 1400 RPMs it cuts out and stalls. If I throttle back soon enough I can catch it before it completly stalls but will not get above 1400 rpms without having this issue. I spoke with a mechanic and he thinks it's an ignition problem. Any suggestions?

Again I have a 1982 Mercruiser 140 3.0 181 GM

Things I have done are. New plugs, cap, rotor, point, condensor, oil, float, new coil 2 years ago. Have not been able to find the external resistor though. So I can't say how it looks. The plugs are 1 size hotter than what the plate calls for. Could that have anything to do with the problem?

I posted about the flooding issue I had a few weeks ago. Fixed that problem, but now it starts and idols fine but after 1400 RPMs it cuts out and stalls. If I throttle back soon enough I can catch it before it completly stalls but will not get above 1400 rpms without having this issue. I spoke with a mechanic and he thinks it's an ignition problem. Any suggestions
the coil has an external resistor WIRE . THIS IS ABOUT 1.5 ohms,the coil positive should be about 9 volts with the proper resistance and correct good coil.

check spark plugs, wires to plugs with ohm meter .timing should be checked ..

could also be fuel restriction , anti syphon stuck ..

Look at the timing advance weights under the points/condenser plate. They may be rusted or springs are broken.

The coil is correct but doesn't mean it's good. Ive had problems with burning them out. If I hook up the battery and the positive wire is hooked up it fries the coil.

Not to sound stupid but where is the anti syphon located? Just installed a water seperator last year. Also timing advance weights? There was none of that when I changed the point/condenser. Or did I miss that?

[/QUOTE]It's the nipple the fuel line connects to on the tank.

They would be underneath the plate on the distributor.

Okay thanks I will check on these and get back to you. Could be a few days before I get time. As far as the plugs I beleive it calls for AC RTS43 and I installed AC RTS 45 because the parts store found them in the marine book. Other than being a little hotter the reach was about 1/32 to 1/16 longer would that affect the performance?

Take your alternator in to have it checked never more then 14 and 1/2 understand ?

You could always hook up a shop one beg borrow or steal one to check if it's good the gauge but from what you describe the alternator is shot.

If you need a alternator i buy from DB electrical do a search or go to ebay i lost count how many things i bought from him.

OK I'm getting 10.4 volts not running. on the positive side of the coil.
Plugs are good.
Wire I'm getting 185 ohms on 2 back wires, 127 ohms on 2 front wires.
timing advanced weights look good no rust or cracks.
Springs are tight and secure.
Coil pack I'm getting 9.74 ohms on both sides at 20,000 ohms.
Having the alternator checked tomorrow.

All test were done with the key on not running other than the coil test. That was completly disconnected.
I'm thinking coil!

I think the alternator is good. When the key is on the volt meter reads 14 volts not running. May have a bad volt meter

Last edited:
OK I'm getting 10.4 volts not running.

Where at? What is the battery voltage?

Doesn't that alt. have an internal regulator?

Yes. Any alternator shop can repair it and go over the whole thing. Chifalen has a point; why repair old when new is nearly the same price.

Altenator is dead! It's putting out over 20 volts. Will this fix the stalling issue? Should I have to replace my coil?

Coil might be fried also. Just saying.

I wish i could have told you to do something that wouldn't cost you a penny.

Me i might take half a day to save 5 bucks, money's tight for me as it maybe for you.

I'm having the Alt rebuilt by someone I know thats been doing it all his life. 2nd generation alt and starter rebuilder. $120 instead of $400 for a new one through a dealer. As far as the coil I posted the readings I got from the tests. Any advise on that. I would recomend this guy for anyone thats local.

Back