Logo

Rebuild raw water pump question?

rmm

Regular Contributor
In replacing the impeller in rwp noticed the package came with just a rubber o-ring instead of the paper gasket. The part number matched but not sure why rubber gasket instead of paper one. Well was in a pinch so used the rubber gasket and a spare paper gasket that was close but not exactly the right one (little too wide in one area) and not leaking but not sure is right. Someone said that rubber gsket is for a newer style pump that has groove which mine does not.

The part number used was 20300 which was just impeller and rubber gasket. How can tell if is OK or should take apart and get right paper gasket? Seems to be flowing good water.

Long story short, not sure if is right as overheat problem still there but could also be something else.

Thanks

Jabso pump takes the o-ring and the Sherwood pump (typical OEM) takes the paper gasket. Both pumps use the same impellor. I just replaced mine (Sherwood Pump) with the Jabsco impeller and the kit came with both the o-ring and paper gaskets.

In every o-ring application I have ever seen a recessed ring or groove is used to retain the o-ring and provide a seal. If you used an o-ring without this groove you have wondered off the path. I suggest buying or making a sutiable paper gasket.

Best wishes,

If you have the sherwood E35, there is no O ring on the cover plate, only the thin paper. And, there is a very similar, but different size paper gasket, you have found out about. Again, that is for another pump. If you haven't been inside, replaced or cleaned the U coolers, I'd do it. They are a very popular issue for reducing raw water flow.

Every Sherwood impeller kit I have has a several paper gaskets included ( 3 or 4) as the impeller fits several other bodies. If the packaging has been "played with" such as hanging on publicly accessible shelving, is it possible some may have felt they just needed a gasket?

I guess you see where that is going...Sorry for the cynical appraoch but I bought two electrical receptacle parts this weekend and BOTH boxes had the screws lifted from them.

They supply both gaskets AND the O-rings for different style pumps in the same package. It's cheaper to do it that way.

Jeff

That makes it tough for those of us that SAVE EVERYTHING... I don't know why but something deep inside says I'm gonna need them some day

Back