Logo

Compression on Mercruiser 1979 120

roadpacker

I have a Mercruiser 120 4 cylinder engine out of a 1979 Galaxy that has very low compression on two cylinders.The readings on # 3 and 4 are a strong 150 while on # 1 and 2 a very poor 30.This engine has not been started in five years and the oil is a milky color.I am thinking it has a blown head gasket,but this is just an uneducated guess on my part.A head gasket replacement is within my skill level,but before I do it,I would like to hear what the pros think could be wrong.Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Compression on Mercruiser 120

Could be a head gasket and could be a cracked block, or a cracked water jacket into a cylinder.

So when you pull the head you will know more.

Good news is if the mani and such is still good all you will need is a new block.

Is this boat worth the time and money, and sweat and tears to get on the water?

Thanks Chief, for the reply to my question on the compression problem.And thanks for pointing out to me the problems that I may face in repairing a bad motor to go in a POS boat that may never see the water again.You just gave me a reality check that probably will keep me from throwing good money after bad.Thanks again.

I am truly sorry, but i wanted you to know it might not be worth your time. I sunk money into a boat i can never sell, and if i had to do over maybe i wouldn't have done it.

I wish you luck in all of your future endeavors !

Back