Logo

65hp Mercury HELP

Rockwood

Hello just wanted to know if anyone could help me out?
I have an older 65hp mercury thats giving me some problems. It runs great at idel but as soom as you put into forward it starts to spudder and die out. I changed the line from the tank and the plugs because I was told that could be the problem but nope. still does it. Also where on the motor can I find the numbers to tell me the year of it? does anyone know of a site I could view a repair manual for it??
Any help would be great.
Thanks

you can buy a manual from this site, and the number should be on the right looking at the back of the engine near the mounting bracket.

emac's right, a hard copy SELOC manual is available for $35 and if you need immediate help, you can purchase on online subscribtion at the same cost. the nice thing about the online manual is you can look up parts and pricing. both, together, cost me less than any factory manual i've ever purchased. also, read my thread. i misdiagnosed a problem i was having and was barking up the wrong tree.

I'd say it is likely you need to do a carb cleaning/rebuild. Your main (high) fuel circuit is likely restricted.

If it's an older model the # is on a plate on the swivel bracket.Time for a carb rebuild,do the pumps while you're at it,just for fun.:D

Thanks for all the help I'll let you know how it works out.

I found a number on the the plate you were talking about but can't seem to match it up with anything. It's a 4 cyl and it says they only made the 65hp 4cyl from 1963 to 1971
2717103 S/N is on the plate
If anyone could tell me what year it is would be great.

Thanks

Nothing wrong with that.Nice #'s. Do the rebuilds now on the carbs and pumps and let us know how you get on,don't forget to get a manual and good luck

Back