Logo

Mystery leak in transom plate

redflashpoint

I have a 91 Mercruiser Alpha 1. I have spent all winter dismantling and putting it back together. Now that it is put back together I have discovered a leak in the inner transom plate. When I have the boat in the water I can see water coming out an eraser sized hole on the inner transom plate, slightly port side of the plastic tube that goes through the transom carrying water from the water pump. Does anyone know what this hole is, and how I can stop the water flow?

tran.jpg

the outdrive, mounting gasket dis-placed, large rubber ring was dis-lodged, water hole O ring damaged /mis-installed
Do you have the trim wires coming thru the hole? sometimes the copper corrodes away leaving the holes in the wire. The rubber grommet seal is leaking, mounting bolts on the outside of the transom loose/missing.
check page 4A-6
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6A4R3.PDF

now your confusing me. does it leak from where the wires come thru or the hole directly below it. If it`s the upper or lower arrow your bellows are leaking

I’m sorry I just saw how I misread the photo. I thought there was an arrow to the hole i was looking at from the trim switch hole label. It will be the bellow drain hole right next to the plastic pipe. There does not appear to be any water coming out of the bottom hole you pointed out. Knowing this…. Is there any change to the plan of attack?

Bottom hole is behind the gimbal bearing and most times gets clogged with grease. Coming out of the top hole means your bellows sprung a leak.Get it pulled asap and remove the drive.not doing anything will cause this, and this means another transom housing.
002.jpg

Back