Logo

Seafoam?

has anyone had any luck with using this in order to clean the carb? I have a 3.0 that I just got started but it sat with old fuel for 7 years and its not getting fuel and not able to idle but will run when hooked up to muffs and rev'd to about 2500 rpms.

just go ahead and rebuild carb, I dont think the seafoam will clean it enough for your situation and is prob meant more for maintenance to keep a carb clean. Did you pump out old fuel?

yep Ive changed all filters, oil, plugs and once I got all electrical parts put on that I ordered it wanted to start up but wasnt getting any fuel. Then I changed the plugs cuz of trying to turn it over I fouled the others due to all the carbon build up that sat in it? following this I checked to see if fuel was coming from the fuel pump to the carb and it was. The injectors are obv. gunked up but I will try to find someone to rebuild it because Ive even tried to due so and I have the book but I think itd be quicker and safer to have someone do it that knows what theyre doing.

Something strikes me as strange here. You say fuel is coming to the carb but injectors are gummed up?? Which is it, fuel injected or carburated ?

sorry for termonolgy mix up, I'm no mech just got a boat that Im trying to fix myself. It has a carb, its getting fuel through the line from the pump and going into the bowl of the carb that has a float, from there its not releasing fuel into the 2 barrels? I'll get the book out and try to determine exact termonlogy from here on out.

you described it well. you can have any competent carb man rebuild it. Or you can do it yourself.

Or you can buy a new carb choice is yours.

Sounds like the low speed jets are clogged. Seafoam might get it, but you'd be foolish to not do a rebuild... for all you know, there could be squirrels living in there. If it's a Mercarb, get the number off it before you buy the rebuld kit to make sure you get the right rebuild kit. There are several different versions and variations out there.

thanks! Yeah I pulled the carb off today and tore it down, Its completely gunked, I think the new fuel I put in started to get through just not enough.Ill try the rebuild.

Make sure you get the correct base gasket from a Merc. dealer; it's a thick one and not the thin paper you get in AM kits.

Reassemble with all new gaskets, needle and seat. Be sure to replace the impeller too as its most likely dry rotted from sitting so long.

thanks! Yeah I pulled the carb off today and tore it down, Its completely gunked, I think the new fuel I put in started to get through just not enough.Ill try the rebuild.

since this has been sitting for many years and now the use of alcohol fuel will cause the fuel tank to release all kinds of goop...better get a few fuel filters ....may have to remove fuel tank pick up and clean off..

how did the old fuel look ? did it look like it was stored with stabilizer ?

Back