Logo

Quick question

tbrodes

Regular Contributor
Hey guys,

Hope your season is going well! My boat so far has been running well. However, the other day I brought up the RPMS from the usual 3200-3400 RPM cruise up to 3800-4000 range to see how they sounded for the final mile sprint in...the starboard engine didnt want to really go above 3900-4000 and the port engine was pretty much the same. They were surging up and down. Not wanting to push it I brought them down to 3600 RPM and we had 28 knots and they sounded perfect.

I am thinking it may be fuel related. I have read about these small filters on the carbs...? Anyone care to tell me where they are on the carb (I have Q-jets).

Otherwise the boat is running great with the new props, burning less fuel and increase in cruising speed and almost NO vibrations!

Ted

Its under the fitting with the 1" hex, at the fuel inlet of the carb.

You'll probably wanna remove the "sight tube's" hose barb for easier access.

so took a look, and have no idea what i'm looking at. There is the fuel line going in with a fitting. Is it in the fuel line going int othe carb...is it under that line....under the fuel line there was a rubber bump...is it in there...anyone have a picture?

if the pdf does work, go to books.google.com,

search for <doug roe rochester fuel inlet>

pg 119 had a picture of several flavors, drawings on several single digit numbered pages.

Attachments

• qjet-exploded view.pdf
    126 KB · Views: 70
Ted,

The filter on the carb is inside the carb and held in place by the larger of the two nuts/fittings. Normally you would hold the large nut/fitting steady while removing the smaller one that connects to fuel line to the carb. Be careful not to twist the metal fuel line when loosening that retaining nut/fitting. Once the fuel line is removed, then you remove the larger fitting that holds the filter in place. Be careful when removing it as there is a spring inside that puts pressure on the filter holding it in place. You want to make sure that you put it back together the same way. There is a very thin washer/gasket between that large fitting and the carb and also a small one inside the housing.

Erich

Just be careful putting it back together. The 'filter retainer' fitting can crossthread easily, if forced, and that requires a new carb or a really good carb shop. The inverted flare nut on the fuel line will tear up that filter retainer if forced. If that happens you need a new fitting, bad part is they are NLA.

Another thing is that most people seem to recommend not using any of that plummers tape on the threads. Better off to use some softset pipe dope like RectorSeal. Let us know how it goes.

Erich

Back