Logo

Need Help Removing The Adaptor Plate (Impeller)

DavidW2009

Regular Contributor
I downloaded the online Cobra repair manual. I've read the part on removing the adapter plate that's in front of the impeller/wear plate (the thin S.S. plate). I removed the two screws retaining it. I've seen the photo in the repair manual showing a pair of vice grips locked on the land area between the lower ports, and read the instruction on "carefully" removing the adapter.

The adapter in my outdrive is solidly stuck in there. The whole boat moves without any movement between the adapter and housing.

How is that plate removed?

Last edited:
Your doing it the correct way, possibly someone else has already been in there and got carried away using sealer when re-assembling it. Possibly try tapping it with a hammer to try and break the seal?

I sprayed the crevis (gap between the circumference of the adapter and the housing) where the O-rign is with brake cleaner, then WD-40, then more brake cleaner and one soak of WD-40 and let it set overnight.

Cut a piece of hardwood to use with a hammer to try and loosen it up.

I could not find a lot written on techniques to remove this plate. It appears corrosion bonds the O-ring to the housing. This housing and adapter do not have a lot of corrosion, probably a normal amount.

I'll try it again today.

Last edited:
Water pump adapter can be changed without removing out-drive from the boat. Three 5/16 holes must be tapped with a 3/8 national course thread. Three 5/16 inch allen bolt screws must be used to protect water pump screw area. Use 3/8 inch bolts in new tapped holes to pull adapter plate from the Cobra outdrive.

Back