Logo

OMC 1976 235 Freeze Plug replacement--How?

RJLougee

I'm looking for info about replacing freeze plugs on an OMC235 in a '76 Fiberform 21'. This is my Dad's boat and he didn't winterize it like he should have last year and blew out a couple of freeze plugs on the Left side of the engine.

I've looked at it as best I can and it appears one of the offending plugs is right behind the motor mount.

Can I just pull the mounts and lift the engine up 6" or so to get at the area or do I have to completely disassemble a bunch of parts to get in there? Is there enough flex in the stern drive coupling?

Not my boat, but my Dad needs a hand and hopes I can fix it. (Obviously, I know nothing about boats)

Any help is appreciated, even if it means he's getting a boat manual for an early b'day present, followed by a trip to the dealer.
TIA, Joe

Re: OMC 235 Freeze Plug replacement--How?

There might be more damage and you may find it after you start the boat.

The boat is on a trailer? if yes, then you can lift just the motor without removing the drive only because you have a stringer drive.

Now that you know it can be done, this is how. Put a flat piece of wood under the skeg and crank the bow of the boat up till the skeg sits on the wood

Then remove all the wires, and the cable that won't allow the motor to lift up. Remove the flywheel cover. Remove the 6 bolts / screws that hold the motor to the bell housing / the manual calls it a adapter housing

Then the forward motor mounts - remove the top bolt or the mounting bolts to the floor of the engine bay and then lift the motor about 2 inchs' and move it forward about 6" and then up. The bell housing remains in place.

How about just stuffing what ever you can where the freeze plug dropped out, checking your oil first and then getting it started ? Get a good flushing device so you can run it on a hose. If it starts to make oil or see a bunch of water leaks then you will have to pull the mtr. They do make expandable rubber plugs that will fit in a freeze plug hole.

I wanted to see if he was going to ask how to run the motor on a pallet or something. Thats what i would do if i got it hanging already in the air.

But we all know already it's got to be cracked somewhere.

Actually, it runs like a champ and I don't see any water in the oil. Except for leaking out the side of the block where the freeze plug was it seems fine.

Thanks for all the responses.
Joe

Put a flat piece of wood under the skeg and crank the bow of the boat up till the skeg sits on the wood

I have absolutely no idea what that means. Sorry, total boat newbie here.

The boat is on a trailer.
Thanks, Joe

The very bottom of the fin, on the floor under it.

Runs good you didn't put that in the first post, didn't put in the first post the oil is clean.

You have what you need to pull the motor info wise.

I would use an expanding rubber type plug and avoid the pulling the engine thing.

Back