Logo

can i swith my aq 151 to a 171?

franklinfleagle

hello, i'm new to inboard outboard stern drives, i have a aq 151a and its a little bit weak but not way too weak, but it is old and wondering if i can buy a remanufactured 171 and put it in as a direct replacement and mate it up to my 270 outdrive. thanks for any help and input, also the boat i have is a 22 foot bayliner trophy and for 3 grand i can get a remanufactured 171, or 1500 a remanufactured 151, what would be better if its possible and why, thank you for any help again

Yes, you can install an AQ171 as direct replacement of the AQ151. However, what would be better depends on whether you are thinking short term or long term. Do you only care about the initial price or are you also considering how much may it cost you down the road?

The only advantage I see with the AQ171 is the extra HP that you will get when compared with the AQ151. Now let's look a couple of disadvantages.

If the timing belt goes on the AQ151, no damage will be done to valves and pistons, as it is a non-interference engine. However, if the same happens on the AQ171, the pistons will hit and damage a number of valves.

If you need a new exhaust manifold, the one for the AQ151 will cost you around $250 + shipping (aftermarket).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volv...2843721QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

but if you need one for the AQ171, be prepared to pay around $1700, as they don't make them aftermarket.

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscat...,2004,1984,1989,2010,1988,2011,2009,1999,2002

Your call.

Get the AQ151 and wake it up by putting a Weber on it. All that will still cost you less than a AQ171, and nearly put out as much power.

Have a great day

Rob.

hey thanks very much for the input, i ordered a weber and based upon the talk on these forums and elsewhere should be about the best 700 bucks i can spend, it has already been updated to digital ignition so this should be just awesome after i get this carb on here, thanks again fellas

Back