Logo

Honda 90 HP year 2000, major stalling, carburetor and idle problems, finally fixed it

DavidNolan598

Im a beginner but…, am posting this to help others.

My service dealer was booked solid so we tried it.

After tearing off the manifold earlier this spring, and cleaning the old carbs the first time, we used the existing rubber o rings on the jets. When we got it all back together it ran at about the 80 percent level, until I took the boat out and then after about two miles the motor died out.

I checked the spark, wires, plugs, fuel pump, etc. We messed around with the carb needle vales and idle adjustments, and got nothing. We finally decided to pull the carbs off again and I ordered a factory service manual.

On the first carb (the bottom most, the slow speed idle jet #40 o ring had dissolved. On the others, most were either shredding or hard as a rock. I ordered the low speed jets and the float ring and o ring set and had them fedexed. The parts were ordered last Wed and by 3 pm Friday I had them.

We ordered from (below) and service was great.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H... JPN, VIN# BBBL-4200001/CARBURETOR/parts.html

After cleaning out the carbs again, we put it back together and it runs like a top. I borrowed a friends vacuum tube measurement and Gary balanced the carbs for me, and it runs so nicely.

The cost to do this was 98 dollars in parts, and 83 bucks for the factory service manual, and a borrowed vacuum pump. The parts i bought were the small jets (4) and four o rings float bowl rings. You should probably order the manifold gaskets and airbox gasket as well cause you may ding them up pulling them off. The small jets were real small and we did clean them the first time with some fine guitar wire, but after listening to hondaguru we replaced them. If you buy the gasket set alone to save money, you have to be real careful to check the small jets are clear. its hard to see into them at all really. the gasket set has three o rings and the float bowl gasket.

It is not hard at all.. The hardest thing was learning you cant get the air box off until you get the manifold off.

That alcohol in the fuel just tears up o rings and turns into jellied snot. If your motor is running like crap, and you have a Honda, its probably in the carbs or bad fuel. there are a LOT of posts like that and my service place says they are very busy (hence it took at least two weeks, plus they get 100 bucks an hour so....)

Balancing the carbs was easy and really helped a lot as well.

As an aside, I took apart my Tohatsu carb and the fuel line and filter and carb was all mucked up. Easy to do and now both motors run like new.
My Honda is a BF 90 HP year 2000 and has 1100 hours on it.

I wish i took a few pictures because it really isnt hard at all.

Dave

[email protected]
progress.gif

Re: Honda 90 HP year 2000, major stalling, carburetor and idle problems, finally fixe

i forgot, you dont need worry about hte small jets if you just order four new ones.

also, we tried previously to use some of the special additives, Sea foam and the stuff you put in gas to get the water out...

the carb bodys and parts had this guck on them. I read that its when the gas sits in them, and the fuel seperates out and the fuel eventually dries up but the water and gunk stay

always always always drain the carbs at the end of the season. and use some good stabilizer for that damn ethanol.

I had a good Racor and another filter but the ethanol got my motor.

Im going to take off my tank and clean it. Its a side saddle tank so no biggee but id hate to se whats in the under deck tanks with this ethanol.

Dave

Re: Honda 90 HP year 2000, major stalling, carburetor and idle problems, finally fixe

Hey just an update, we took two trips with the first we ran six hours and put 70 miles on the motor bottom fishing, then we took it back offshore and the motor is working great. 230 n-miles in the ocean and 69 gallons, so we are about 3 nmpg heavy loaded with ice, bait and fuel and the Honda ran without a hitch.

Back