Logo

hot do i replace a neutral switch for my remote control assembly 1992 5.8 L

ben16430

i have a 92 chris craft with a 5.8 l omc and my neutral switch has broken connector that the lead is supposed to clip on to. and i need to replace it but i am not sure if should just start taking the screws apart on the rear side of the control assembly cuz im sure there are springs holding everything together. any ideas would help thanks.

Re: hot do i replace a neutral switch for my remote control assembly

You could just bypass the safety switch if it's just you operating the boat and you be sure that it is in neutral before trying to start. That's very important. This would be merely temporary until you can replace the shifter. New is best, but ebay is full of old shifters. I wouldn't personally replace an old part with an old part. Not worth taking apart.

well that is what i am doing for now so i can use it this summer however i have found the part i need for and i have found the entire unit the part i need is 14$ and the entire unit costs 338$ i would really just like to replace the part even purchasing an universal throttle control would cost over 150 and i was really hoping to do it the cheapest possible way considering ihave already spend a fortune on the boat. if its not possible to just replace that let me know here is a link to digram i found from the website i located the neutral start switch.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/O...OL ASSEMBLY - CONCEALED SIDE MOUNT/parts.html

You should be able to fix that yourself, when taking it apart take lots of pics for reference incase you need them when putting it back together, you won't find a better blowup of the internals than that diagram...good luck!

does not look too intimi****** as long as you don't pull the handle apart and spew detent balls and springs all over the floor. I haven't ever tried to take one apart (i use separate shift throttle levers) so I'm no help there.

Hmmm. odd that the spelling above got killed like it's a dirty word, which it isn't.

Back