Logo

Dual 454's, single fuel tank, single fuel filter?

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
I spent most of the day today crawling around the engine room to become familiar with all the systems. The one thing that I couldn't quite firure out was that there were two fuel line shut offs at the tank but I could only find a single fuel filter. I have twin 454's and a single 300 gal. fuel tank on my Luhrs. Shouldn't there be two fuel filters, or does that fuel line service both engines after the fuel finter? Hot as Hell crawling around that engine room today. I'm starting to think that winterization, maintainence, repairs is a younger man's sport.
Nightstalker

I absolutely agree that as I get older, I will be needing to farm out some of the work WHICH I HATE DOING as NO ONE will insure the most perfect assembly other than YOU!'

With that said, my 34C Silverton is in some way a similar boat and with two fuel shut off's you should have an individual feed to each engine. I have 3 and one is for the generator and there are 3 fuel lines. Since you have not stated that you actually see the exact configuration you have , I will assume you still have not identified whether or not the line feeds both...frankly I would not believe this is the case. SO, keep crawling

Concur with Knuckle - get back in the bilge.

Start at the engines' fuelp pumps and trace the fuel line fromm the pump back to the tank. It would be worth the extra effort to make a sketch of all the stuff you find, especially with the winterization and maintenance planning still to be done. You should find a filter for each engine as well as a shu-off valve for each fuel feed. Genny's are separate, too.

Ain't boating fun! Got to be two fuel filters.

Jeff

OK, I'll crawl around the bilge again and trace everthing back from the engines. This time, I'll take out all three floor sections so I can see and manuver a little better. Yesterday, I listened to my wife and didn't hardly swear at all. Next time, I'm gonna rant and rave. I find that usually works, along with "get a bigger hammer|. Maybe I should have bought an RV instead of the Luhrs. Heck, that's no good either, they have to be winterized too.
Nightstalker

Guess what... you will probably discover the things you need to with your next inspection. I learned something that I try to follow today......when I was 22. ( 1976)

We were 4 wheelin' out on Island Beach Park in NJ in the sand with my FJ 40 Land Cruiser...The jeep looking one not the fancy one they sell today. A guy was stuck in a Ford Bronco and asked for a tug. I discovered there are plenty of 90% efforts that MAY work and only 1 100% effort that will work. Took a bit longer but it did work... I have found in order to keep reliabilty maxxed out....especially out in the water, I better make sure I go with the 100% effort.

Found um. One for each Crusader and one for the generator. Also found 2 dimes, 3 pennies, an old wrench and a couple of unused crimps.
Nightstalker

Need to go back for at least one more session; you need to find at least one SS screw, one brass screw, one nut and one bolt. any washers, especially stainless, are bonus items.

Just wait til it comes time for the electrical system!

I found a 14" double box wrench and an old dive mask in my current boat. The rubber was so old on the mask that it turned to stickey oil/slime with a stainless hoop and a glass window in the middle.

I found the previous owners new 18V rechargeable flashlight down in the bilge. Returned it to him. Should have kept it and returned the boat.

As thoroughly as I would have thought we cleaned the bilge and tried to flush junk from the bow to the stern, in 4 years and even 2 years power washing....we are still finding stuff in there. I have'nt seen conventional flat blade screws in some time...found those in there.

Back