Logo

aq130/270 PDS Bearing maint...

I'd rather not crap on businesses.... I see u are from Sac, so you should know the place....its the largest marina parts center in Rancho Cordova Ca. If you know the area you will know the place. They are nice, but understaffed and always in a hurry. 2 years ago i went in and bought some parts, they gave me ALL THE WRONG parts, and gave me store credit because they have a "all sales final policy". Im thinking about just buying a whole bunch of anchor rope so I dont have the credit anymore and have no need to go back to the place!

I went online and found all the seals/o-rings I need for 40 bucks!!! (minus the shift mech seal, cause I cant figure the part number out)

Does anyone know the part number for the shift mech seal?

Understood and yea, I think I know the place...starts with an L correct? I don't even bother to go to any marine places around here looking for parts or do repairs as I know they will (A) be way too expensive or (B) not even talk to me when I mention that I am working on a 35+ year old boat. Their loss.

That will be a standard rotation bolt thread...... so CCW will remove it!

It is also the wrong bolt for this application. The correct bolt will be a socket head bolt.... either in a Hex or 12 point. The 270 would have originally been Hex.... or what some call "Allen"!

oh man, oh man, oh man.....that u joint yolk is rusted/stuck to that drive shaft soooooooo bad! I've gone though a bottle of propane already! I keep tapping and pulling, etc...

Earlier i caught myself thinking about putting the boat back into storage for another year or two! But, i ended up at the hardware store buying more propane instead!

Kinda worries me about how the condition of the drive shaft.....hopefully its not as hard to get out! I really don't want to have to pull that motor if it wont come free....

As far as the bolt in the picture that was the wrong type, would it be in my best interests to get the correct bolt? Or?

to think....... after i am done with this drive i have one more to go!

Last edited:
Yes, it would be!

Also, you may need to sacrifice the yoke by using a plazma cutter! Very carefully, I may add... including where you place your ground connecting point!

A good used yoke won't break the bank.
Even a used PDS for these are not expensive, in the scope of things.

Your goal right now is to reach the two snap rings.

When you get these repaired, you'll have yeeeeeeeeeeeeeears of sevice to come from all your hard work.

rick,

i don't suppose by chance you might have an extra yolk laying around somewhere that you would be willing to sell?

I'll try a little more, but if i need to i will just cut the darn thing out.

If Rick can't come up with all the parts, I know I have anything you need, complete drives all the way down to shims or fasteners.

Gary, I've been doing these for twenty plus years..... never have I seen a blue main drive gear seal!
Green shift mech eccentric piston seal, YES!

Are you speaking about the ones with blue/green paint on the metal portion?

Yes Rick, The main drive gear seal or "head washer seal". Back in the day these seals were colored blue. In the late 70's early 80's we saw them pretty common but not now. The guy I broke in with was the West Coast service manager at Western Engine, AKA Volvo Penta. He left them and opened his own shop in 77'. I started with him in 78', didn't know a thing about Volvos and that's my story and sticken with it.

Would the 8mm seal work whether or not you originally had the 10mm seal?
I thought that I responded to this.
If speaking of the FWD seal, and if no conflict with the grease port, a 10mm should work!
If concerned, go with the 8mm.

Last edited:
well fellas,

Bad new, I was down on my knees around the drive trying to figure out a way to get the shaft out, and i noticed that a larger portion of the bellows snout (about 2 inches) along the lip that the bellow seals to broke off.

I am hoping that you guys will tell me that there is so easier way to fix this than to pull the motor. I need a 8 foot ladder to get into the boat, so pulling the motor would be a chore that I don't think i am willing (financially or otherwise) to take on.

Can I weld something in to replace the lip? Is there anything that I can do?

If worse comes to worse I honestly think that I may just put her back in storage or..... maybe even part her out or sell her.... this was quite the discouraging discovery.

Is the bellows bead groove on the snout still intact. If so I have replaced the bellows on many over the years, not that I wanted to and have never heard back from the customer. If the groove is there and you can't pull the engine at this time you may give it a whirl in fresh water. When you get home pull the bellows back and check for water entry. Heck, take a couple tools with you and check it at the ramp after dumping it in for a little while. You never know, maybe the Penta Gods are shining down on you.

the bead is actually broken. a piece about 1.5-2 inches broke off right underneath the u joint shaft. it came off in one piece, so i think that i may be able to weld a bead across the inside of the housing and file any sharp edges down.... I am thinking that may work... that snout material is aluminum, right?

The problem with pulling the motor is that the boat is soooooo darn tall. I have to use a 8 foot A ladder just to climb in it, and I dont have or have access to a engine hoist with that tall/long of a boom.

we learn something new everyday, right? After i get through all of this i will be a pretty darn good DIY aq series handyman....

Last edited:
Will, build yourself an "A" frame affair out of lumber and a beam.
These are among the easiest of engines to remove..... they almost remove themselves! :D
Baring no bolt corrosion, etc, I'll bet you could have an engine out in 45 minutes to an hour. Probably less!

I have a very nice Flywheel Cover that I will sell to you inexpensively.

I am over my fit of depression at busting that snout. :)

I have been looking at various A-frame hoists online and am drawing up plans in case i need to pull that motor.

I have a buddy coming over with a a TIG welder next week, and he thinks that he may be able to weld that piece of the snout back on there...if he can, GREAT, if not, then i guess I am buying a bunch of lumber and building a big-0 A-frame.... my neighbors are going to hate me!

I still cant get that damn PDS separated from that yolk, but im going to wait till i find out whether i need to pull that motor. If i need to pull it, then i'll just service it when i change the flywheel cover.

Since Ill have that A-frame, i guess i might as well pull both motors and service both of them, clean them up, and repaint them too!

Well, we'll see....hopefully it wont come to that....

I am also thinking about getting an entire motor and outdrive setup for parts. Being that i already need more than 2 (u joint shaft, flywheel cover, adjusting pin), perhaps it wouldnt be a bad idea to have a spare motor and drive laying around.

I found 3 locally, none of them over 500, and are complete set-ups. Im going to grab some tools and head out to check them all out over the weekend. Any tips here?

The best looking one is only an hour from me, and the guys swears that it is a drop-in-and-go motor....says he bought it for a project hull, but ended up with another finished boat instead...

It looks like a B20 block to me, and it's definitely volvo (says Glasstron on the drive).

For what i need it for i think that it will suffice...and this one is only 350 bucks! i dont even need it to run, i just want the parts off it.

Here are some pics of it:

3nd3pa3lb5Q25U55P0a7j10213ae6e6991870.jpg

3m63p33le5Z65U65X5a7j8011345ef2901c57.jpg

3k03m23p65V15Q25P1a7jbee3a58574f61a4c.jpg

does this look like a b20/aq130 setup to u guys?

I am thinking that i can salvage the parts i need, keep it around for any other parts that i may need, and then part the rest of it out and try make a little back on what i pay for it.

My step father actually has a aq130c and 270 drive out in Nevada. I can have that if i go get it, but the cost of gas driving my truck out there and the time involved is a little more than i want to do........

Let me know your guys' thought here...

Last edited:
alright, u talked me into it.... im gonna try and pick that boat up tomorrow.... hope the trailer pulls straight... My girl is gonna be pissed if that F/C does not fit, that is my excuse for bringing home another boat.. If u know anyone looking for parts, let me know!....lol

I am simply amazed at how many forums Rick is a member of....lol. I cant google anything related to a volvo penta that doesn't return something from some forum posted by Rick. Lol.

Its amazing what you can find in someones backyard, especially a 2 acre backyard...

my step-father sent me to see someone he knew, who was a retiring marine mechanic who was having some medical problems and stopped turning wrenches about a year ago....

Anyway, this guy sells me 2 running aq130b blocks, complete with F/C housing, new PDS bearigs, seals, everything, even the carbs were rebuilt..... they were hooked up and running in his shop.... 2 complete 270 drive, and 1 270 drive that he was re-sealing, but never got around to finish, for 200 bucks! He's a swell fellow, real nice guy...

I think i singed the check before I even realized my checkbook was out of my pocket...

Guess i better go buy some lumber for that A-frame hoist....

Last edited:
Back