Logo

1981 Johnson Wont run without choke

exobrute

Ok guys as you may see I'm new here and to the whole outboard scene. This is my first boat, i have a small 12' plastic Jon boat with a 1981 Johnson Outboard 6HP that i bought from a friend. Here's my problem, when i bought the motor i obviously made him start it first, it was out of the water and he sprayed some starter fluid and started it on the second pull. So i bought it. Now that i have it in the water its a lot different. I manage to start it on full choke after about 5-6 pulls. Once i get it started i have to leave the choke on and the throttle can only go about halfway or it will die. I ran it for about an hour with the choke all the way pulled and the throttle about halfway. As soon as i try to put the choke in, it runs for about 5-6 seconds then dies. Another thing i found weird was that with the choke pulled and the motor in neutral i can give it full throttle without it dying. Anyone know what could be the cause of this whole issue?

Thanks

sounds like the carb needs to be cleaned, get you a service manual for it, and it will show you how to take the carb apart.

coueytwo is correct. The carb just needs to be cleaned. You may want to, if there is dried gasoline in the bowl, scrap it out cause that can get stuck anywhere in the system. But yes clean the carb very thouroghly.

Back