Logo

'1986 4.3L dies at half-throttle

zchendrix

Hello all-

I have a 1986 Mark Twain 17.5 ft ski boat with the 4.3L OMC engine. this boat starts easily and idles great. After idling away from the dock, I start increasing throttle to about half-throttle. The bow rises and almost gets on plane. Then, the engine suddenly dies and I get an electrical shock back through the throttle handle. I put it back into neutral and it starts right back up. Same thing when you start throttling again.

I didn't know what to try or even where to start. Thanks in advance for any help anyone could provide.

Re: '86 4.3L dies at half-throttle

What do you have the stringer, large rubber transom seal around drive? Or a cobra with rams that lift the drive ?

Then i can post the manual for you. But real quick if there is a lag time between you posting and me reading your reply heres something for you to consider.

There should be 2 wires going to the handle. Follow those wires after you verify no short in the handle itself.

Take it off ain't hard then, you got to find where they are shorting to.

Also you didn't give any history, such as how long you have the boat, did the problem just start, and what was done to the motor just before this happened.

Re: '86 4.3L dies at half-throttle

Sorry about that. Guess its a Cobra because it has two rams. I've owned this boat for four years. This is the first time on the water this year. I have run it a couple times with the muffs and have not noticed anything out of the ordinary. Of course, I didn't have it at half-throttle, either. Haven't done anything to the engine lately.

I'll trace the wires and see where that leads me. I'll let you know what happens.

Back