Logo

Failing Coil Problems? stalling when warmed up

I had the same trouble with my 440's. It was the ECM......it looks like a metal box with a 5 pin plug going into it. You couln't see that the back was all melted and black until you unmount it from the steel bracket it bolts to. It will look like an ash tray full of dried epoxy when it is new. Turn of your main perko switch,mount the ECM (electronic control module), and screw the 5 pin harness back on BEFORE turning on the perko switch. (I fried my first replacement by accident). They are about $50 for marine grade......I'm told automotive ones are the same for about $25 aftermarket.

If your trouble comes back before replacing the ECM......switch the modules on the motors......the trouble should follow the bad ECM.

I think I would play with the mixture screws while its in gear ,warmed up,against the current or wind ,open water with someone at the helm/key

you and a flathead

If you find improvement or stay running in gear with out stalling,then maybe back the idle down IF you can to make it purr

but before you do any of that take those screws out and blow in with a shot of com pressed air to clean it out and put the screw back in the same many counts as you took them out

Start with 2 full turns to the left if you forget

I'm confused. When the motor is cold the choke should be closed; when it's warm, it should be open. Period.

Jeff

Back