Logo

Need ideas on removing my engine

paw2000

Contributing Member
Hi, Thanks for all the help on my previous posts, was able to determine I need to pull my motor and plan a rebuild. My next thing to get done is removing the bad motor. I removed the top end of the motor and confirmed my diagnosis and it was water intrusion from the exhaust valves on 2 cylinders. Now I need to lift the motor out, what ideas does anyone have to do this?. I would assume the cockpit of my boat wouldn't hold the weight of a engine lift (like those used for cars) I just got the boat moved to my property so I can work on it.

The boat is a 1989 Chris Craft Commander 315, it has 2 engine boxes/covers. I had to remove the exhaust manifolds as there is not enough room widthwise to lift thru the opening. Is there a typical way to lift a motor out? I was thinking of making a wooden beam and bridging it across the boat. But lifting it is 1 thing, how would I move it over the side? The boat is nearly 14ft across, so safety needs to be observed.

Not sure if there is a piece of equipment I could rent.
Thanks

Build an frame that looks like a swing set minus the swings. Have the beam running fore and aft (I wouls take two 2x8's spiked together so there is no chance of an accident). Then use a chain fall or come along and hoist it up. Set something in the deck to support the engine while you readjust the lift. Now that will get you near the rail. The easy way to do this is to find some one in the area with a boom truck and just lift it, but with a 14' beam I don't know if that would work. The big thing is to take your time and not to rush as accidents happen that way. Good luck.

I realize how lucky we were when the great skill of the owner at Great Bay Marina used the travelift to hoist our engine out. Took less than 25 minutes to pull and less than 15 to re-install. Of course we dii all of the preliminary stuff but he had placed it within 1/4 inch of its' mounts. I really like Paul's idea and the lift truck really makes it easy

Last edited:
Other options for the "over the rail" are forklifts and backhoes, depending upon their availability. The only potential drawback is "operator risk" where they may not have much experience in this type of operation.

So True...As I mentioned...It was our operator's skill with the lift that made it look so easy. Just imagine having an engine hanging off the end of a bucket and the operator lifts it as it snags the lip of the hatch and pulls the boat off the blocks?

Last edited:
When I put the engine back in Miss Nancy, I used a boom truck and the operator had a wired remote so he was standing right there. Much easier then anything I have used before or since. And it was cheap, $60- per hour and took all of 20 minutes.

I repowered my 1984 Commander 315 in the water. We used a boom that was mounted to a bulkhead piling & chain hoist. I was wondering why you have to remove the exhaust manifolds. Do you have a generator between the engines? If your 89 is like my 84 the 3 hatches & supports are easily removed. Access is a dream compared to some boats. I pulled my merc. 454s with the transmissions intact. Dropped in the new Crusader 5.7s the same way. You do have to remove the exhaust "collector" that connects the 2 risers to the one exhaust discharge.

The cockpit of my boat is 1 solid fiberglass unit, the motors have raised platform of about 6inchs and there hatch lids over the motors. You basically walk between the platforms to get to the cabin door.

Missnancy you said you used a boom truck, who does one call to locate locally? rental place or a construction company? I have the motor ready to lift out, and if I scheduled a truck to come out, I can have the other ready in a day or so.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/sammywell2009/00000000000000003-32c.jpg

this a picture of the bad engine and the tight confins of the cockpit

I used a local landscape company who does a lot of rock work but I would think that anyone with a truck could do it. You are right, it would be a tight fit getting it out of there.

You have my condolences. Chris Craft changed the layout that year. This is what it used to look like.

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 184
Well I lined up a rig to pull the motor, I stop by my local heavy truck transporter, they have tow trucks and boom trucks to help right overturned semi's and spilled cargo. They said the truck they will use has a swivel boom, like others have said they control the truck from inside the boat with remote.

The price hurts, $500 to bring the truck out, setup and pull motors, if they/me run into issues, the hour meter gets billed at $125hr. If I try to make a rig to lift or rent something, it will cost just as much. So I'm planning to have it done Saturday.

Here is a picture of my boat http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/sammywell2009/DCP_3805.jpg

With the manifolds off, that looks like an easy pull.
If you can still get out of the tow truck/boom route (and the $500), find anyone working a backhoe and they will probably do it for half of what you are about to spend.

$500-! Yikes! Are they are proud of there gear or what. On another note, I would get some blocking under the keel on your boat to help support her keel.

Why the water intrusion?? did you possibly just change the starter and if so did they give you the corect rotation. If so verify starter corect or motor #2 could face same fate. just a heads up good luck!

The water intrusion was before I bought the boat. I bought it knowing the port motor was bad. The starboard motor runs ok, but I'm replacing that motor anyway. 2800 hrs on the motors and they appear original, so its time to replace.

I agree, these motors seen better days. Well I was able to get them pulled Friday evening. The heavy truck towing kept putting me off, would forget to call, didn't keep appointments, always had an excuse. So I posted on craigslist help needed, and this guy had the right equipment, did the job in an hour, was $250 half the cost.

I'm having him install the new when I get them. Here are some pictures.
CopyofDCP_3824.jpg

CopyofDCP_3826.jpg

CopyofDCP_3828.jpg

Glad you got hooked up with somebody that's willing to earn a living.

Keep those progress updates coming and good luck on the refurb.

Glad it all worked out for you. I went through the same thing last Spring. I managed to get a boom truck and a deal....

This guy was just excellent with the boom...and I prayed the straps and chain would hold !!!;)

No time limit..total cost was $300.00 for the lift out and the lift in with 5 days between out and in with the new one..(no paper work, no receipts, cash only):eek:

eng01.jpg
eng02.jpg

eng03.jpg

eng04.jpg

I'll be installing the new motors early next year. I got them ready and ran them so I had no surprises. I want to clean and paint the engine areas and replumb the hoses and electrical. I posted on another thread how my motors didn't have lifting rings, I made some up and they work ok, but I'm not happy with the extreme tilt because of the weight of the tran. I have a load leveler for pulling engines, but it didn't help much. Willow when you pulled your motor how did they attach to lift? It looks perfectly level even with trans on.
Just in case anyone has seen it http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/...ction=view&current=newinboardfirststartup.mp4

I just called my mechanic and he stated that he put in a bolt/with chain in the front of the engine and then another bolt/with same chain at the back, diagonally across the engine. By going across diagonally it allowed him to adjust the hoisting STRAP on the chain in order to get the mid balance point.

My engine was a 350CID and he stated there were holes that would accept a good sized bolt both at the front and the back of the engine.... When I think about it, it may have been the bolt that holds the oil cooler bracket at the front and possibly the bolt that holds the oil filter bracket at the rear...BUT then again I have my doubts that those bolts would be strong/large enough....I am sure you will check out your engines and see what will work best for you. According to the mechanic, he ensured the bolts he used were of a good size.

The big thing is to keep moving the STRAP along the chain to get mid-point balance.

I ended up haveing to haul the engine back out due to oil pressure problems. I had also installed a new hard top on the boat that I did not want to remove. Thus for round two this is what I built. Not as easy as the boom truck but it did work.
DSCF0080.jpg

Missnancy thats a cool way to do it. I made a wooden beam and roller to remove my old exhaust manifolds. The manifolds were stuck together and the weight was too much to lift. I used my electric hoist and a simple roller and lifted them up. I would never trust wood to lift the motor. Where did you get the girder? is that steel or aluminum? I thought if I could get an aluminum beam and harbor frieght sells the dolly, I would install my motors myself.

On a side note, what was your oil pressure issue?

Back