Logo

1992 Mariner 40hp Magnum Trim Tilt Slow Fall

Jake_MN

Contributing Member
Hi there,
I have a 1992 Mariner Magnum 40hp that has a trim/tilt issue. Though the trim/tilt will raise and lower the motor, when the motor has been trimmed up it will very slowly fall to the resting position. The fall is very slow, you can barely see it moving. I've never messed with a TnT before, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start? Thanks in advance.

Jake

I would start with getting the service manual for your model - aftermarket (Seloc's) just doesn't have enough detail on the T/T unit to be overly useful.

You have either a bad seal or a bad valve somewhere - and since there is many of both, the service manual will (map out) what each of them does and where they are located - then you tear it all down and replace the ones that are in the (circuit) which are supposed to stay closed/sealed when in the "up" position.

I'm not trying to cop out on an answer here but it's not something that can be explained to you without the schematics sitting in front of you.

Hydraulics are not super complicated but you really need the tech info if you are going to play around with them...

Make sure the vent screw (manual release) is tightened up. Should be unless someone used it before to lift your engine up.

You should find it below the TT reservoir(under pump motor), underneath the plate the pump sits on. It's a plastic flat head screw. Should be facing toward the stbd (right) side. Lift motor up and lock it with the lock, open the screw a few turns then shut it.

Otherwise, yea get a book like galamb suggested.

Make sure the vent screw (manual release) is tightened up. Should be unless someone used it before to lift your engine up.

You should find it below the TT reservoir(under pump motor), underneath the plate the pump sits on. It's a plastic flat head screw. Should be facing toward the stbd (right) side. Lift motor up and lock it with the lock, open the screw a few turns then shut it.

Otherwise, yea get a book like galamb suggested.

It was the manual release. I tried to tighten it a bit and was still having the same issue. Then opened it, cycled the trim and tilt a couple of times, tightened the screw back down and now it's holding trim. Thanks very much to both of you for the replies. :) I'll be buying the service manual anyways. I'm sure I'll be needing it.

Did yours settle while going down the lake or just sitting. Mine will fall to resting point under load but only when you hit wakes. If you trim it up 3 or so times then it will stay until you trim it back down. Any Ideas

Back