Logo

Volvo D4 DPH Duoprop Sterndrive lockup

Highsurf

While running my Volvo D4 DPH duoprop sterndrive at about 15mph I ran over a thick piece floating polypropylene rope, it got sucked in between the duoprop and locked up the two props. The Volvo D4 detected lock up and shut itself down. Had to get a tow because I couldn't get the rope out that had been sucked between the two props. Once I got the boat home and removed the props I was able to clear the rope out. Since it was time for service the drive oil was changed and looked okay, no ruptured seal.

I've now reinstalled the props and torque down the two different nuts as spec. The thing that concerns me is the gap between the two props seems to have increased. I believe the force of the rope filling in between the two props may have shift the drive shaft for the aft propeller. I've been told that the Volvo DPH duoprop has a floating hub design and over time the gap between the two props will change and I shouldn't be concerned. Just trying to make certain the gaps isn't too big. The gap is large enough that I look through gap and see the SS drive shaft between the two props.

Any experience or suggestions appreciated.

Back