Logo

Mechanical Fuel Pump

DragnBait

I have just had a new engine (GM 350) installed in my boat. I had the mechanic install a new fuel pump at the same time. The new fuel pumps diaphram ruptured after a 10-15 hours use. I then installed a new pump and the same thing happend again (ruptured diaphrame). Does anyone know what the problem might be?

The old pump is installed now (just happend again this morning). How would I know how much of a spacer to use and where to get one.

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it!!

Boy, This is a new on me. Never had that happen. I've always called that plate the mounting plate, never thought of it as a spacer and have never seen different ones. Somethings amuck, you'll figure it out. Wrong pump, wrong rod, something easy. Too much lump on the new cam?

Took the pump apart and the diaphram is bubbled and the rubber is torn down to the fabric under the rubber. Took the pump and the push rod to the mechanic and he gave me a spacer (said he has never had to use a spacer on a 350 ever) but thinks it could be the additives in the new gas (alcohol). I think boatdoc55 could be right about the new cam having to much of a lump. Going to try the spacer and see what happens. The mechanic gave me another pump, this one is a Carter vs a Siarra...Most likely have the same materials used in them. Also going to buy a spare pump for the break down... Left stranded twice now on long distance trips grrr...

Thank you for the help and will let you know what happens.

Measure the fuel pump cam lift, then compare to another cam.....
There are lots of camshaft laying in machine shops.... fuel pump cam should still be OK.

Did you compare the push rod length to another push rod?????

Back