Logo

Hitting rocks with a dual prop

As stated in another post, my son is considering a boat with a 4.3 Volvo and a dual prop out drive. We fish rocky lakes including Canadian waters.

Anybody hit a rock or other obstacle with a dual prop? Anything besides the spendy props get damaged??

Thanks.

Perhaps you missed my comment in your other thread!

If hitting rocks is a potential, then you certainly want to run Aluminum props.
You could very likely shread the blades from them without damaging the prop shafts.
If you were to damage a shaft, it would likely be the smaller AFT prop shaft.... of which is replaceable.

I'd suggest learning your body of water, use your depth sounder, and avoid these areas!
Make sure that your Marine Insurance coverage includes Impact Damage!

I did see your other reply. I'm just wondering if anyone else has hit something with a dual prop and what happened. Some of the water we fish in Canada does not have contour maps and sometimes we're fishing an area for the first time. Over the years, I've lost several props but nothing worse.

If any boater hasn't hit underwater objects, they have'nt been boating much or just to proud to stand up and say so.

That's what I think---but nobody else has chimed in with what has happened to their dual prop when they did. I know what happens to my Mercruiser----you fix or buy a new prop. Cost ranges from $75 to $150.

The dual props are great, BUT, make sure you are running an Aluminum prop. If you so much as ding a rock with a stainless prop, you are looking at a repair bill of several thousand dollars. Don't go blasting around in strange water. I boat in Georgian Bay and there are spots where the water is 100ft deep and all of a sudden there is a shoal. Thankfully, I've only damaged my skeg and scuffed up one prop. I'm not too proud to admit that.

I dont have a dual prop but have the sx outdrive. I hit a tree stump with my prop. Completely destroyed it. Just replaced the prop and I was good to go. I was wondering about brass props, they seem to be in the middle. I would like a little bit stronger prop and was wondering if brass was the way to go?

NSX, your next option for a stronger prop is to go with a stainless steel prop, your hole shot will be better and you will get a bit more top speed....BUT!!! if you hit anything like a tree stump or a rock with a stainless prop, you will be replacing the prop, and your lower unit at a cost of thousands, not a hundred bucks or so for an aluminum prop and a couple of hundred to fix the skeg. If you boat in open water with no shoals and rocks, stainless is the way to go but if there are shoals, rocks, tree stumps and the like, stick to an aluminum prop, the aluminum absorbs the impact and shears off, stainless steel transmits it right up through the prop shaft and higher wrecking everything.

Yes I know about stainless which is why my boat doesn't have a stainless prop.

But there are also brass props. They make them for a reason I assume because its fits in the middle. A little stronger then aluminum but not as strong as stainless. My question was aimed towards people who have brass props and hit things. What kind of damage have you seen?

Back