Logo

2000 Mercruiser 5.0-One Click at Start

maj1978

When I put my boat up for the winter, I ran storage seal thru it and fogged the carburetor. Everything worked just fine. Now, when I try to start the motor on a freshly charged battery, all I get is one click. The motor does not turn over. I replaced the slave solenoid, tried a brand new battery, but no change. The starter looks like a pain in the butt to change out, so thought I would check for any other ideas. If it is the starter, does anyone have step-by-step instructions for remove and replace of the starter? It is in a Maxum with a bench seat in the back, so access is very limited.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

I have them off. There is a little rust, but no serious corrosion. I have cleaned them with some sandpaper and steel wool, as well as the starter posts. Same thing. One click.

Did you try jumping the starter. if yes and still just a click then tap the starter, with a hammer. Still no turn of the motor.

Take the spark plugs out and then try the starter again. Still wont turn yank the drive off try it again.

Bert also gave a good one try turning it with a socket.

Oil looks like what ?

How do I turn the engine by hand to see if it seized over the winter? I tried jumping it by putting a screwdriver across the slave, but it did not turn. I also tapped the starter a few times, but still just one click each time I turn the key.

EXACTLY what did you do winterizing,step by step.
screwdriver across the slave or starter solenoid?
There is a crude hi current test but preferred method is to use a battery load tester
using jumper cables attach pos to main starter lug, ground to engine block but not the neg cable connection, strike the other ends of the jumpers together.
Should be a big, fat spark.If not, battery cables, cable ends, connection points

I sprayed Mercury Engine Storage Sealer in the carbeurator, removed the drain plugs from the engine and drained the water from the engine, added fuel stabilizer to the gas tank, took the battery out and stored it in the garage on 2x4, put a trouble light (turned on) in the bilge for heat. The boat was under a plastic tarp for protection from moisture. It was a very mild winter in the Seattle area last year, not many days under freezing. I would be very surprised if the engine were cracked or seized.

when you remove the plugs did you see anything draining?
if not, did you probe the holes with a nail to make sure something drained?
if they were pluged like they usually get ,pulling the plug will not drain them and will lead to freeze damage.

For S & G`s we`ll say the block is good,slave solenoid replaced, connections good.
IMG_1747.jpg

In this pic,short the solenoid from the top lug to the small lug on the right closest to the engine. let me know if:
it spins
it sparks
it does nothing

I'm sorry, but you will have to be a lot more specific. What am I looking at? Is this a shot looking at the starter? If so, I have little to no visible access to the starter to view top lug and short lug. What is "short the solenoid from the top lug to the small lug?" How would I do that?

well,if you cant see it you cant do it.
Go to the slave solenoid, locate the large yell w/ red stripe wire. remove it from the solenoid and connect a jumper from that wire to the battery.If the solenoid is good and everything is connected it should spin the motor.
report back

I think kghost hit the nail on this one. All of my dicking around with this will likely cause more damage that will take more money out of my pocket. Thanks to everyone for your time and advice, but I will pack it up and try a couple of repair shops tomorrow to see if I can get it in to have it looked at in the next couple of days. I appreciate all of your efforts in trying to help me.

Back