Logo

Volvo dual prop 1993 4.3L

My son is looking at a '93 Crestliner with the above I/O. We're both more used to and comfortable with the Mercruiser I/O. The dual prop looks fragile and expensive to fix especially if you hit a rock (we do some fishing in Canada).

How reliable are the dual prop outdrives and how expensive are they to fix?? We can take apart and put back together the Mercruiser I/O's------how much harder are the dual drives??

Thanks.

Re: Volvo dual prop 4.3L

Reliability is one thing, and hitting a rock is a totally different one. :D

For what I know, duoprops are very reliable, but the propeller sets are pricey. I have been tempted several times to go duoprop in my 280 for fuel economy, but so far I have stuck to single aluminum prop. Maybe one day if I find a complete leg (or just the lower gear assembly) with the correct prop set for a good price I will give it a try (just maybe....;)).

When I've hit a rock (several times) over the last 30 years with a Mercruiser, I have a prop ($150) to repair or replace. I'm concerned that with the dual prop, not only will there be 2 props ($800) but a bent drive shaft. The one driving the back prop has to be long and small.

Anyone ever hit something with a dual prop??

The Duo Prop is incredible. I can't say enough good about them.
And yes...., they hold up very well.
But as with any drive, maintenance is the key!

I have installed many. I have them on my own twin engine 28' SDN F/B boat, and having gone from twin sps to DPs, the difference is amazing, to say the least.
I'd have to type too much to fully explain!

Don't look back at the Mercruisers..... especially the A drives w/ Dog Clutch gear engagement and the necessary S/I system. :mad:
No S/I nor ESA with the Volvos!

Volvo pioneered the marine Cone Clutch and the Duo Prop drive....... and have done it correctly.
M/C cannot yet use Volvo's patented Duo Prop design.
They do have the BIII, but the propeller design is considerably different!

If the thought of prop damage deters you from this, then you will never know or appreciate the DP.

Yes..... I have damaged props before! :rolleyes: Don't ask.... not sure if I want to tattle on myself! :D

RicardoMarine, we all damage props----if you do anything besides a cruise around the lake/river on a Sunday afternoon. When you damaged a prop/props, did you do any other damage to the outdrive??

RicardoMarine, we all damage props----if you do anything besides a cruise around the lake/river on a Sunday afternoon. When you damaged a prop/props, did you do any other damage to the outdrive??
NO..... and as much as I'd like to run SS props, this is why!
If you run SS, the risk is greater... but performance is better w/ SS!

Back