Logo

Replacing automotive fuel pump with marine type fuel pump on a 318 Chrysler

eetgar

The surveror found in the 1974 Luhrs 32 ' that I am buying several issues that are of concern to me.

1. The fuel pumps are automotive types, and need to be replaced with
marine type.
A mechanic who looked at the job is telling me that he does not see
where he can fit the tube that returns fuel to the carburator in case
of a diaphragm failure. He mentioned that he may drill a hole that will
accept that tube.
Any one encountered this problem? Any other solution?

2. I found evidence of hydraulic fluid loss from the gear box.
How serious is this to correct?

3. The choke was disconnected on both engines. The owner and the
seller's mechanic are telling me that it's not a big issue in California
because of our warm climate. My position is if some feature was
designed and incorporated in the design it should remain functional.
Any other thoughts?

Replies are appreciated.

The surveror found in the 1974 Luhrs 32 ' that I am buying several issues that are of concern to me.

1. The fuel pumps are automotive types, and need to be replaced with
marine type.
A mechanic who looked at the job is telling me that he does not see
where he can fit the tube that returns fuel to the carburator in case
of a diaphragm failure. He mentioned that he may drill a hole that will
accept that tube.
Any one encountered this problem? Any other solution?

2. I found evidence of hydraulic fluid loss from the gear box.
How serious is this to correct?

3. The choke was disconnected on both engines. The owner and the
seller's mechanic are telling me that it's not a big issue in California
because of our warm climate. My position is if some feature was
designed and incorporated in the design it should remain functional.
Any other thoughts?

Replies are appreciated.

what carbs do you have? the edelbrock 1409's have a spot that you can connect right from the pump to the carb.

you need to try and figure out the source of the fluid leak. i just had one and it was a main seal had to have the trans pulled and fix that :(

i've been told the same thing on the chokes. if you don't have starting problems or restarting when the engines are hot, i wouldn't worry to much about the chokes.

Being a legendary cheapskate, I drilled a hole in my new but two fitting pump to dd the third fitting (for gas leaking past the diaphragm to be sent to the carb). Easy to do, and that's all the factory does. There's even a spot in tha casting where they drill it.

Do not run without the chokes. That means extra cold cranking every time you start the motors, bad on bearing, starters and the flywheel (and $$$ item to change). Only lazy or incompetent mechanics did not wire up the chokes. All you need is a 12 volt source in RUN to work the things--what could be easier?

Jeff

Your assuming the boat is equipped with electric chokes right?..might be the old tired bi-metal spring that eventually craps out leaving the choke on..all the time,& if its sunny California, then you don't really need them.If the carbs are the original Carters, they will not have the bypass feature, didn't need it then, so why do it now?..as for the trans, could be any number of things, from a loose filler cap to a major leak, time to get oily fingers,

Last edited:
Your setup may be correct for the year. My 440s and boat are also 1974 and the pumps didn't come with the 3rd vent line, they were a standard automotive pump. I have a spare NOS pump in the original box and it doesn't have any extra holes either.

Dan

Drill away! Not hard to do. A piece of metal brake line makes a fine fitting for the pump end. Drill the hole where the dimple is for the tube, then epoxy it in.

Jeff

Back