Logo

Winterizing 1990 454

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
I have done the searches and have found some data. Is there a site that gives the procedues step by step? How do you fog the cylinders after the vessel is pulled? I thought of spraying fogging agent into all 8 cylinders , replacing plugs and turning her over for a second. I don't see how you do it through the carb not behing able to draw the agent in without being able to run the engines without a water supply thus losing your antifreeze. This willl be my first time winterizing my vessel. I'm a little nervous but the marina wants $300 per engine, so I thought I would give it a shot. What do you think.
nightstalker

Here's what I do. Pull boat, pull all plugs to drain water out, replace plugs, pull T-stat,Fill 5 gallon bucket with antifreeze(have 2 more gallons ready to go as it takes 7), put intake hose in bucket and start engine, after getting to the 3rd gallon I begin to fog engine while running. Someone tells me when AF is running out the exhaust, shut engine off. Actually, pulling the plugs and squirting the oil in is probably better but more work.

Here's what I do. Pull boat, pull all plugs to drain water out, replace plugs, pull T-stat,Fill 5 gallon bucket with antifreeze(have 2 more gallons ready to go as it takes 7), put intake hose in bucket and start engine, after getting to the 3rd gallon I begin to fog engine while running. Someone tells me when AF is running out the exhaust, shut engine off. Actually, pulling the plugs and squirting the oil in is probably better but more work.

If it takes 7 gallons of antifeeze for each engine, how long does it take for the antifreeze to begin coming out of the exhaust after you start the engine? What is a T-stat ?
Nightstalker

It seems like forever. I would guess a minute or so. T stat is a thermostat. In front of engine on top if intake manifold. I'm pretty sure it is 7. I know more than 5.

Is this engine fresh water cooled and uses antifreeze in its normal use or is it cooled only by the water the boat floats in?

My FWC 454's use about 3-4 gallons of winterization antifreeze and we pour it into a 5-gallon bucket..using the seacock hose to suck it into the system, it is exhausting out the transom before the 4 gallons are used up.

Is this engine fresh water cooled and uses antifreeze in its normal use or is it cooled only by the water the boat floats in?

My FWC 454's use about 3-4 gallons of winterization antifreeze and we pour it into a 5-gallon bucket..using the seacock hose to suck it into the system, it is exhausting out the transom before the 4 gallons are used up.

My engine is fresh water cooled. Do I have to remove the T-stat to winterize it in this manner? What type of hose do I run from the salt water intake hose to the bucket of antifreeze? If I put antifreeze in the engine, change the oil, replace the anodes in the antifreeze/water mix chamber and top it off and fog the cylinders, is that about it for winterizing the engines?
Thanks'
Nightstalker
Nightstalker

Knuckle47 can answer better but you already have antifreeze in the engine if you are fresh water cooled. All you are doing is getting the water out of the heat exchanger when you winterize. C'mon! July 9th and we are already talking about winterization? This stinks.

Gee Willikers...Sammi is right... it's only July Unless your in another hemisphere? No, I do not remove the thermostat since this section of the engine is already protected enough for MY AREA in NJ. As for the hose, We remove the hose that comes up from the seacock , 1.25", and use it in the 5 gallon bucket. It basically sends the antifreeze thru the same paths that the water would pass thru and eventually out thru the exhausts. With dilution a natural within the system, we just start with -60 antifreeze.

If you have a galley and head or Air conditioner, you will need to winterize these items individually. Someone mentioned to me that they use cheap vodka in the drinking water system. The argument was that the commercial antifreeze for drinking water systems imparts a yucky taste to the water that is very difficult to remove...Vodka ...why even flush it in the spring..

Last edited:
Better this topic than where to tie up when the hurricane gets close?!?

What I do is warm things up and change the oil. Like Knuckle, I use 4 gallons in a five gallon bucket I hang in between the engines. That bucket has a flange in the bottom that 4' of 1.25" ID hose hangs from. That hose feeds the strainers.

Once full of the pink stuff, I pull the belt from the raw water pump, pull the flame arrester and fog the engine, while running, thru the carb. I use two cans of fogging oil simultaneously. Once the exhaust is smoking heavily - less than 30 seconds - I choke the engine off. Loosen the alternator belts and replace the flame arrester and they are ready for their 'nap'.

Don't forget the fresh water system and AC if installed, too.

Mark,

You had mentioned the part about using TWO cans of fogger last fall and we took your advice and did exactly that. The 454;s seem capable of burning thru the volume of oil that comes from a single can. Using TWO, it will stumble and eventually conk out within 25-30 seconds.

I love the smoke part...even in the spring, looks like one of those Florida mosquito fogger trucks I rememeber as a kid

It's hard for those in the East to even THINK about winterizing at the moment! All week we have been pounded by a relentless heat wave without a drop of rain (until this morning).

Jeff

Thanks for all the info. I know it's early to be thinking about winterization, but I want to make sure I get it right before I give it a try. I will also have to winterize the genset, AC, water supply, head, etc. Thanks again, I really do appreciate all of your help.
Nightstalker

Back