Logo

'1985 Force 125 Tilt and Idle issue

JesseC

My tilt and trim cylinders have a slow leak. Already purchased a rebuilt unit just waiting for the lift to assist in the install. For now though I really need to add some fluid to the system to limp her around. Never dealt with the tilt and trim on any boat. Where about is the fill? I know it needs to be all the way up, but where the hell is the fill?

Secondly I started the year off with a bad coil pack, replaced that, motor now firing on all 4 cylinders but doesn't want to idle anymore. Kicking it into gear will almost always kill the motor unless you give it a lot of gas right out of the gate. Checed float bowls and they were spotless clean. Sprayed some carb cleaner through the system with no effect. Could it be just a simple twist of a screw on the carbs?? any Ideas would be great. For some reason outboards scare me... I'm used to the standard V8's

Thanks Guys!

Re: '85 Force 125 Tilt and Idle issue

yes you can adjust the low speed needle on the carb

run the needle in just so it is touch do not turn tight our you will break the needle, count how many turns you turned it in. then back it out 1 1/2 turns then fire it up this a good place to start it should idle for you make your adjustment from there it should idle around 800-1000 rpm's.

if 1 1/2 is not working out good then adjust it to your old adjustment and go from there

i am not sure about that trim and tilt system sorry!

Re: '85 Force 125 Tilt and Idle issue

Turn the air screw in till it bottoms and then out 1 and 1/8th turn then leave it there.That's what the factory said to do.
But before you do that do a compression/spark test.
Then check the fuel pump diaphram.If the boat hasn't had any upgrades.Then it will need new hoses(squeezie too) and filters.
Ethanol is messing up a lot of motors.It's delaminating the inside of older hoses causing clogs in the carbs and fuel filter.Check for soft hoses and junk in the filter on the motor.
The fill is on the side of the resivoir.Power steering fluid.J

Back