Logo

Paragon V-Drive PMV 20 problem

dave med

dave med
user_online.gif

icon1.gif

I was underway in my 33ft Silverton last weekend when I was coming down off plane my starboard V-Drive let go. I dropped anchor and checked fluid, it was still up to level and pink. Although the dip stick was very hot. after the engine cooled down ( next morning) i checked fluid level... still up to level.
I started up engine...put her in forward & reverse gear... I could hear a very slight noise when going from neutral to forward and reverse. the prop will not spin.
I know i will most likely have to pull out the motor and V drive to have it serviced but....
Would anyone have any advice on how to diagnose the would be problem at this point?
Could it be a simple fix? i know i just thought i would ask you guys...

thank you for any advice you can give me.
progress.gif

Could be a pump inside went and its not pumping fluid, or the clutches might have went. Not sure about paragon, but some older trans. used paper clutches like cars in order to save on costs, my walter vee did, I had it rebuilt it and the mechanic put the fiber type back in. Just a thought, I could be wrong. However it sounds like it needs to be rebuilt.

Does the v-drive also have a reduction gear? Would be motor to reduction gear to tranny. This should be checked also. R gear to tranny would have a shaft inside with a CV type or universal joint that can fail. I have seen many paragon's fail inside and crack right through the top of the tranny casing. Yikes!!!

Oil stick hot! This I assume is a water cooled para. Tranny fluid when PINK is a major sign of salt water in the fluid. Trans fluid (when clean) is a clear RED fluid not PINK!!

Check it out quick!

Good luck!

I removed my engine and tranny. I separated the v drive from transmission, the universal joint was destroyed on the the end going into the v drive. good thing i didn't break the case.
The PMV 20 is a 2 to 1 vertical split case on the v drive is the newer model before they ended production.
I am have a problem finding that part.
Does anyone know where to find used parts in New England? their are plenty of the older models with the water cooled jackets.

Well Guys I lucked out in my search for my part.... i found the shaft and yoke that goes into My Paragon V- drive at a Noppers Marine in FairHaven MA
Pete the owner has my tranny and is in the process of putting it back together.
Anyone looking for help like I Needed.... try Contacting Noppers Marine

Back