Logo

Hooked up battery backwards

mguerrieri

I hooked up my battery backwards on my 1998 Mastercraft Sportstar. I fried the alternator which I replaced but now the engine cranks but the injectors do not spray fuel and the engine does not start. None of the fuses are bad at the ECM nor did the 50 amp breaker blow. I had a tech come out and test and he said that I need a new ECM. This doesn't add up to me. I would change the ECM out but Indmar doesn't have any more and the manufacturer stopped making them. I NEED HELP!!! I don't know if i should trust the tech that the ECM is fried and if it is what do I do now that they are no longer made?????

I hooked up my battery backwards on my 1998 Mastercraft Sportstar. I fried the alternator which I replaced but now the engine cranks but the injectors do not spray fuel and the engine does not start. None of the fuses are bad at the ECM nor did the 50 amp breaker blow. I had a tech come out and test and he said that I need a new ECM. This doesn't add up to me. I would change the ECM out but Indmar doesn't have any more and the manufacturer stopped making them. I NEED HELP!!! I don't know if i should trust the tech that the ECM is fried and if it is what do I do now that they are no longer made?????

most times on all engines with the computer /pcm /ecm when reverse polarity is applied this is what occurs...

the injectors are controlled by the ECM ....

Thank you everyone for your responses. My part number is 16184069. If anyone has any info on replacing this please let me know.

Thank you

Thank you everyone for your responses. My part number is 16184069. If anyone has any info on replacing this please let me know.

Thank you

that number does not come up as ECM...

knock module is what it refers to ..the ECM should have many wires to/from it ..

need engine and serial number to locate correct ecm ..

Thank you ~ the ECM has a sticker on it and the number is 16184069 ~ my engine Serial # is IC956112. Indmar 305 I believe.

you have a 5.7L engine . this is what I found : S556394Indmar Marine Engine ECM MEFI 5a - Delhi 12597744Engine Serial Number : IC956112 $ 980.OO .....

You won't need a MEFI-5 ECU, a -3 would be the "newest" version needed.

A picture set with the connectors would help. That number from the Sticker is the GM part number. Anybody that does "custom tunes" for the high performance marine engines should be able to provide you a source and set you up with the correct program.

JCat ~where did you find that information?

Makomark ~ i have pics but don't know how to upload them. There are two wire harnesses that come out of the ends of the ECM.

The -1 and the -2 have the connectors' pins parallel to the circuit board. The -3 and -4's have their pins perpendicular to the circuit board (parallel to the mounting bolts).

I've seen harness kits that will let you swap an old -3 system for a newer -4 system but can't comment further as I haven't touched them.

Have you checked with a custom tuning shop yet?

Back