Logo

Volvo penta 199 5.7L. Oil pressure alarm

klenihan

1999-2000 FOUR WINNS MODEL 210 boat with Volvo 5.7L. Low oil pressure alarm -the warning beeper sounds on & off and on & off when boat is slowed to under 10 mph after running at higher speeds. Only way to stop beeping is to increase speed again. I have been informed it is a bypass stuck open, or a faulty sending unit, or bad oil pressure gauge, or not correct oil weight/type but no one has been able to fix. I don't recall it occurring the first year but has happened ever since, not every time but most of the time, seem to be at "no wake speed" but not in idle. The boat/engine does not seem to have any other issues running.... more a pain the ears....the alarm :) but does concern me and most of all concerns my guests when it happens. ANYONE have same issue or ANYONE heard of this problem or ANYONE know the fix besides disabling the alarm. Also what would be the correct oil weight/type to use for this engine.
Thank You !!

Re: Volvo penta 5.7L. Oil pressure alarm

Your lucky day since I have experienced the same issue on my 2000 5.7GSI. You never want to disable the alarm system. Assuming your OP is normal replace the oil pressure alarm switch located by the OF on the port side rear of the engine block. The VP part number is 3852215, $32 from Doug Russell. They seem to get clogged up and/or start leaking around 150 hours. I use Castrol Syntec 20W/50 year round in LI waters. Factory also calls for full synthetic 30W.

I had a similar problem with my 2001 Four Winns with a 4.3L (not sure if the wiring is similar on the 5.7...) I feel your anxiety, as even though I was always pretty sure this was a sensor problem and not really a problem with the oil pressure, the possibility that the engine would seize was always in the back of my mind when the alarm would start.

In my attempts to fix, I found that there are 2 systems monitoring oil pressure; one in the engine compartment and one on the dash. The one in the engine compartment is controlled by a transducer-type sending unit, which is mounted in the block (port side). If the pressure is less than a pre-set minimum (<7psi, I think) the alarm sounds with a beep every second or two. That alarm beeps every time you turn the key to the "on" position before the engine is started, and the alarm comes form the engine compartment. It's the simplest system, and likely the most reliable. That was not the alarm that was sounding.

The gauge on the dash, and the dashboard alarm come from a different sending unit. This one is barrel-shaped and mounted on the top of the engine, right next to the distributor. I replaced that unit, but still would get the alarm on the dash, and the pressure on the gauge would be erratic. Last summer, I replaced the barrel-type sending unit and plumbed a "t" fitting, mounting a mechanical Oil Pressure gauge I picked up at Autozone. I haven't had the problem since, but having the mechanical gauge will allow me to verify the pressure if the dash alarm and gauge act up again.

Hope this helps.

Hi Craig,

The beeper alarm is controlled by the OP sensor mentioned in my first post, mounted on the block adjacent to the OF. The OP gauge is controlled by the OP sender next to the distributor. I believe you are correct with the 7 - 9 psi setting. When I first experienced this issue I tapped in a manual OP gauge to supplement the electrical gauge and tracked the OP through out the rpm and temperature range. The OP gauges were within 4 psi. The alarm was inconsistent but generally would beep more often when the engine was at operating temperature and coming off a high rpm run (above 3,000). I changed the oil and it persisted. After tracing the wiring harness using the factory manual I replaced the OP sensor and the problem was resolved. The sensor showed slight seepage between at the crimp ring. Three seasons later the issue resurfaced with no sign of seepage. I removed the sensor and found grit in the outlet. I replaced the sensor as cheap insurance and the issue was resolved. I understand the sensors are very sensitive to blockage because of the low psi settings. My engine has just under 900 hours of SW use on LI Sound.

My two cents.

Back