Logo

Only Half of a Crusader Question

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
Has anyone had any experience using the hot water taps on the engine thermostat housing to attach to the hot water heater tank for the "domestic" hot water heating?

I understand It REALLY heats the hot water but I am wondering IF it is worth doing for the limited use it may get while out. We don't sleep out on the hook....yet. We dock at home so more reasonable facilities are readily available. But you know what happens when you get the big stuff done, you start looking

I have owned my boat 3 years and I have never turned on the electric part of my hot water tank. I drive 3 miles to the beach; about 10 minutes running time and the 5 gallon tank is warm. 90 to 100 degrees I would guess. I'm raw water cooled so the engine temp is only 130 degrees.

Al:

I love my "free" hot water.....just gotta be careful because it is much hotter than the house. The service manual for the engines should give you the preferred hookup. If i remember correctly, the OEM on my boat tied the heater's core into the bypass line coming out of the top of the fresh water circulating pump.

You'll find there are some days where that shower sure would be nice to have (I expect this afternoon would have been one of them).

Well then,

Looks like a go. Of course I'll need to wait until it is a little cooler out to get started. But you are so so right....A shower without the BRRRR! is a nice idea

Checked the manual. I have no OEM but the Crusader book shows the water heater hose to the same fitting on the engine circulation water pump. it makes a simple loop thru the heater. My guess is 5/8 heater hose or should I try to find some heavier duty 5/8 hose?

Last edited:
Oh yeah...I would stay away from it otherwise. That heater is in a RIDICULOUS spot to have to change it....AGAIN!
Kevin, are you seeing any BP oil where you are?

Last edited:
Yeah, the oil is here. We have not taken the Trojan out for a few weeks now. I have been working with the Vessels of opportunity on TowBoat U/S boats. Our job is to look for oil in the Gulf and Pensacola Bay. If we spot any oil, we report it and a skimmer will handle it. We have deployed oil booms and 'pom poms' to contain it. What a mess!:mad:

After I posted my previous response I decided to check just how hot it gets after a 4 mile run to the beach. Probably 25 minutes from engines on to engines off. It heats the whole tank of water up to engine temp in that time. I'm in lake Erie so raw water cooled not an issue for me. 24 years on the same tank(knock on wood).

Back