Logo

crusader 270

b29keebird

hi again, my friend who shred his alternator belt found out his lower timing gear broke into several pieces . there is no timing chain. It is the reverse rotating engine. He ordered the new gear, cover etc. What is the best and worse scenario of what to expect after the work is done and any advice or tips would be appreciated. He is using a telescopic magnet to be sure all pieces are removed. He will also do oil change when complete. thank u, bob

hi again, my friend who shred his alternator belt found out his lower timing gear broke into several pieces .

Did the gear break teeth or suffer a massive fracture? And, is the cam gear OK? This seems unusual to me.
A magnetic drain plug might be a good idea, if its accessable.

Go to Radio Shack and buy a bunch of magnets. Stick them all around the bottom of the oil pan (epoxying them in place if it's an aluminum pan).

Jeff

Seems very unusual to me as well. i think all of the reverse rotation chevy engines I've seen have the nylon covered cam gear that would be the most likely item to give, especially when compared to the stell crank gear.

The recommended practive is to replace the gears as a set. This means removing the cam to change its gear. Nothing requiring any special techniques, just standard practices. Biggest issue is adequate clearance in front of the block.

ok,due to a mistake(mine), it is the camshaft gear that is in pieces, not the crankshaft. my friend is waiting on a call to pick up the parts to fix. Again, is there any advice or tips that may help and should everything be ok when finished. thank you and a special thanx to fastjeff who usually advises me on my chryslers. bob

I recall that job being straightforward. I believe you line up the two dots on the two gears as they mesh. Dots at closest approach, if that makes sense. Its a good time to look at the cam lobes for ANY visual wear.

Turns out only the big blocks use the press on timing gear, the small blocks use the 'normal' three screws. So the cam doesn't have to be pulled.

If the gear is snug going onto the camshaft, make sure you immobilize the camshaft before applying any force on the gear.

Back