Logo

Flooding out 1982 140

whity

I have a 82 merc. 140 I've had for a few years and it ran fine till I put a new points, condencer, cap & rotor. Ran perfect on hose but just put it in the water for the first time this season and when the motor is cold it will start and run fine but loads up with raw fuel and stalls after warmed up or running at high RPMS. You can see that some gas gets in the water. it smells like it's running rich. I also changed the vacuum line from the fuel pump to the carb. Not sure if that would be the problem. Causing too much vacuuum to the pump? After it stalls I have to start it at full throtle to start.:confused: Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Flooding out

that ain't a vacuum line its the overflow from the pump to the carb if the rubber in the pump goes it pumps the fuel to the carb, clear hose right?

Ok you have fuel in that line? If yes pump went, if no i think you have a different problem.

First psi test of the pump, no more then 7 psi, if good then the float is sticking, or it's full of fuel. Or the needle seat is dirty not sealing.

See the pump is always pumping the float rises and the needle seals. Float don't float then you got a over rich condition.

Corrective action is a carb rebuild, want to know how i can post a old post i made.

Yes it was a clear hose but I changed it do to itbeing pluged with green shmotz. I used a black fuel line. Should I get a new clear line? As far as that line being full of gas I'll check later this evening. I just rebuilt the carb last season but could have sucked up some debris. I also put in a water seperator/ fuel filter last season also. But I'll definatly check the floats as well. Where can I get a cheep fuel pump tester? Any auto parts store?

Last edited:

Does the choke work: Is the choke plate wide open when it warms up? Does it close when the engine is cold?

Get rid of your "black fuel line" and put some TYGON (or other fuel rated) hose back on. If you can't See inside of the hose, its benefit (being early problem detection) is lost.

Thanks for the help! found the problem. The float was full, just ordered a new one. Thanks again.

Back