Logo

1988 Wellcraft 210 Classic Mercruser 5.0 Possible Fuel Pump Problem

kyleca1

Hi,

I have a 1988 (maybe 1989) Wellcraft 210 classic with a 5.0 litre Mercruiser I/O.

The boat didn't get used at all last year due to a starter problem and all I did was start it up once last year after I repair the started and then had to winterize it again.

So basically the boat has been through two winterizations (included gas stabalizer) and only started once and all with the same 1/4 tank of gas (around 8 gallons) remaining in it.

Today I filled the tank with premium gas and took the boat out on the lake for the first time in 2 years and it started off fine (usually cold blooded due to being carbureted) but at full speed while trying to plain out (about 15 to 30 seconds) it would suddenly loose all power and would only idle. After a few seconds went by, I slowly gave it full throttle again and it did the same thing. This repeated itself for about 20 minutes then kept gradually getting worse to the point that it kill entirely and would become very hard to start and then may not even idle. The strange thing is that it would run normally for 15 to 30 seconds and just die like someone hit the kill switch.

We made sure the fuel filter was clean and cranked the engine while the fuel line was disconnect and first noticed no fuel was coming out for about 10 seconds then it would come out in short spurts. We took the fuel water separator filter off and noticed the it was only 1/2 to 3/4 full of fuel.

I am wondering if I have a bad fuel pump.

From experience with previous boats, I would expect that I might find a fuel pump at an auto parts place that could match and cost me alot less than a marine fuel pump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you agree it is probably the fuel pump and not the carburetor...or something else then can you recommend a replace part number from an auto parts place that might match it (Auto Zone, NAPA, Advanced Auto...etc...)?

Thanks,
Kyle.

Thanks guyjg.

I assume you agree with my thoughts on the fuel pump being my issue. If not then I am open to suggestions before I sink some money into a fuel pump.

Your link shows it being over $100. Seems kinda pricey for a fuel pump but beggars can't be choosers.

I tried search NAPA for 861678A1 but didn't have any luck.

Kyle.

listen is the line clear to the pump. Suck up with your mouth or other device to make sure it's clear. The pickup tube or anti-syphin valve can be clogged

here read this will tell you how to check the 2 items i mentioned.

I pumped all the fuel out of my onboard fuel tank when i got it.

You can do one of 2 things, pump the water out of the bottom, or all the fuel out and here is how.

If you just wish to pump just the water out of the bottom of the fuel, you will need to purchase a cheap electric fuel pump from any auto store dc powered.
You will also need about 15 foot of cheap fuel hose from the auto store and clamps to fit the fuel pump.

Install the hose on the fuel pump both ends and cut about five feet on the sucking side of the pump just look for the arrow on the pump.

Remove the fuel pickup tube it's the one where the fuel hose hooks to the tank a 90 degree angel fitting, it's a anti-siphon valve. Unscrew it.

Crank the bow of the boat all the way up, and stick the hose connected to the electric fuel pump 5 feet into the bottom and back of the tank.

Into a clear container pump the water out till you see clean fresh fuel and stop the pump.

Or into a large container pump all the fuel out.

Now check the valve by blowing thru it, check the screen thats its clear.

Install the valve and pickup tube your done.

Question do you have a fuel water separator on the boat, good to have.

Copied and pasted here form another website i used to post to wrote by me

progress.gif

If you try an external fuel tank attached to the fuel pump that could rule out the pump or the fuel tank.

Back