MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Click for Johnson Evinrude Diagrams, Parts and Manuals!

Default 1983 Evinrude 7.5 hp

My '83 evinrude 7.5 likes to leave me stranded on the river. I put new plugs in it yesterday. It started the first time after about 8 pulls. We ran it about 1/2 hour, then anchored for about 2 hours. It then wouldn't start. When I squeezed the priming bulb, it did not get solid. Could it not be getting fuel?
    I'm new to this. Could someone recommend a source of basic information about operating, maintaining and storing an older outboard?

Default Re: 1983 Evinrude 7.5 hp

I think your best bet is to get an OEM manual, it will help ansewer a lot of questions, and guide you through repairs.
    The troubleshooting section will also help you with problems.

it seems like you have compression and also spark
    which leads me to think it is a fuel issue just like you stated the bulb did not get hard.
    (just to be sure check compression, and spark the spark should jump a 7/16" of a gap with a bright blue spark with a zap)
    if both of the above are correct i would clean your carb there may be some dirt in it.

How do I check the compression and spark? Remember I'm new to this but want to learn to do it myself (in other words, dumb and broke).

to check for compression you can buy a compression gauge at local stores such as canadian tire or walmart

screw the tester into where your sparkplug is then pull the engine over about three times like you are starting it.

to check for spark take out the sparkplug, then hook sparkplug wire back onto the top of the sparkplug and then hold it a little way away from the block and have someone pull it over if there is a bright blue spark with a real zap that jumps 7/16" then you are good.

Thanks. I'll give that a try after work on Saturday.
    My next question: I don't have a stand for the motor and store it lying down on the floor of the garage. Someone at work told me that isn't good for the motor and I should spend the $75 on a stand or build one to store it vertically. Was he correct?

it is always better to store it up vertically you should invest in one. you can easily also make one that engine is not heavy at all use some scrap wood around the house or something.