Logo

1999 Evinrude 70hp 4 Stroke problem

bc4942

I am the original owner of this 70 4-stroke Evinrude. For the last few years, have not been able to use the motor that much due to power problems.

First, when I put muffs on the motor and run it, it seems to run fine, but when I actually put the boat in the water, it does not have very much power at all. Ocassionally it would take off with full power only to revert back to a "bogged-down" feel with no power.

I have put it in the shop a couple of times and they never really have been able to identify and problems other than the last time I was told it needed a new fuel pump. Around $800 later, the problem is no better.

Second, I have now noticed that the more the engine is run, the higher the oil level gets. In fact, it seems like gas is getting mixed into the oil.

I am desperate for ideas as t what all I may have going on here. I have no idea where to start....

Re: 1999 Evinrude 70 4 Stroke problem

what is the compression on the cylinder(s)?
please do compression test.

that is the first thing i would be doing to make sure u have compression

I can not figure out how to post on this site yet so I was hoping someone could help me here. I have a 1999 70 hp evinrude 4 stroke model E70PL4EE serial # 16005087 and I have the same issue as the outboard on the video I am posting. Can someone please help me find these parts so I can fix mine. A mechanic did a diagnostic test anf said the VST pump was not working and fuel pump wan inoperable. Here is the video link.
https://youtu.be/-Y9sFCD3BAU

Back