Logo

Johnson 25 SeaHorse

1950something

I am new to the boat remodeling world and would appreciate any help available. I have looked everywhere I can think of trying to identify this motor (That's how I found this forum)...

I hooked my truck battery up to it and hit the ignition button and it tried very hard to start so I replaced the fuel lines and plugs hoping to help it along... It seems I am not getting fire to the plugs. I would like to get this motor fixed and running along with the boat itself. I need to find a manual or guide for repairs, So I can proceed to the next step of this adventure. If anyone can tell me what year this looks like I would be very grateful also any assistance with the 'correct' procedure. All the searches I have done does not seem to have enough fins on the bottom portion of the shaft.

1a1950somethingj
http://yfrog.com/1a1950somethingj

Like I said I am new to this field and look forward to any advice available.

1950something

Last edited:
Post the model number and we can identify the engine for you.

I think it is long shaft model that's why it has an extra "fin" on the leg.

Look closely and you should be able to see that there is a separate 5" section in there. Or measure from the transom top to the AV plate above the prop. If thats round about 17" is a standard shaft, if its more like 22" its a long shaft.

It certainly looks like a mid 1950s model.

Because of the cream colored trim on the hood and the Seahorse logo below the 25, I would put your motor as 1955. Data plate should be between the clamps. Also look for the welsh plug on the power head. Serial number greater than 1,194,193 would be 55. No spark is usually caused by cracked coils and dirty/bad points. Check out http://www.aomci.org/ for more information. Also look around here for posts about bringing old motors out of storage.

Wow, That was quick!! I appreciate the info, Now to take the next step and try to solve the firing issue...

I will be posting status and asking more questions as I progress. I bought some fairing compound to start addressing the hull as the motor gets fixed.... Would like to have it ready for Labor day boat parade (not gonna push it though, I want to do this correctly)

Back