Logo

chrysler 75 hp?

wayne55

i recently acquired a 19' v hull boat, the guy i got it from says the motor is a 75 hp, there is an id plate inside the motor cover, the model # is 757HA, the serial # is 5328, i'm putting on a few pictures as well, i guess my question would be, what year is the motor? how reliable it is? am i wasting my time? anything you could tell would help, boat is in good shape other than paint, thanksIMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

74-79 75hp If it starts then it's been running for 35 years.It's not gonna be easy on gas but it will run a long time yet.J

tks jerryjerry05, took her out for her maiden voyage this morning, started right up, crusied around the santa rosa sound for awhile, doesn't have alot of power though, had a couple of gals of gas already in the tank so we cruised around for about an hour or so, came back in to get more gas, once again thanks, you will probably be hearing more out of me.

after filling up the tank, went back out, you were right jerryjerry05, it ain't afraid of gas, had a good time on a half a tank, but didn't stray to far from the marina, here are a few things that happened; at wot the boat doesn't plane out like i would've liked, it was a bit windy an choppy, the guy i got the boat from said that i might have to tap the starter occasionally to get it to engage, should of said the opposite, occasionally it will start without tapping starter, i noticed that when you turn the key the butterflys close, causing flooding, i held the butterflys open an it started right up, having issues with the motor kicking up in reverse, all in all wasn't a bad day, maybe ya'll can give me some help on these things, have a good one an thanks

hey I have the same motor and in the front of the motor by the transom I have a crossbar that has a little switch that says release and engage. If you engage it it locks the motor down so it wont kick up. If you have it turn the switch to the 3 oclock position to engage if you are in the boat looking at the motor and 9 oclock to release. I didnt find it till after I went out and had same problem. Hope this helps.

The butterflys closing is the choke.It's supposed to close when you push in the key in.If it closes when you turn on it then there is a short somwhere.J

One more thing.If you have the wrong prop it can really hurt you in the gas tank.
It should run about 5300 rpm at WOT.If you have lots of stuff in the boat,people coolers equipment etc.It will affect that too.
Post what RPM's your running and we'll try to help your gas bill.J

It sounds like your key switch is messing up.Spray some WD-40 in it.

Just want to say thanks, wayne55 & Jerryjerry05, for your info in this forum. Last year I purchased a 1976 Thunder-craft & 75hp Chrysler outboard. Both are in mint condition. Yesterday, I blew out the CD pack, called the local Merc. dealer to have him tell me the replacement was no longer offered. Wayne55, I saw your pics & noticed your cd pack was already replaced on your outboard. I got the name & part no. from your picture, went to the CDI website & there it was. Monday I will order one from MarineEngine.com.
As far as fuel economy goes, per my GPS, I went 26 miles on one tank (6 gal.s) of gas. Being very "throttle sensitive" that's not to shabby.
Again thanks, & here are a few pics of my unit before the box went out.

IMG_1238.jpgIMG_1242.jpgIMG_1243.jpg

Back