Logo

Transmission Leak - 318 w/Paragon Drives

1977Silverton

Hello, I have a 1977 31' Silverton with 318's paired with Paragon V-Drives. I have owned the boat for 3 years. Prior to taking the boat out for a cruise, I ALWAYS check the fluid levels (oil, water and tranny fluid). I took the boat out last weekend for a 3 hour or so cruise. Never above 3000 rpms and about 10-12 knots max. Everything seemed to be fine although I did notice somewhat of a lack of response from the transmission on the starboard side when docking but it was in fact engaging.

In checking the fluid levels yesterday, the starboard side transmission dip stick showed completely empty and below the motor and tranny on this side it is covered in fluid. It does not appear to be coming from the tube or vent (this was dry) but the underside of everything is covered in fluid and "gunk". I cleaned up the area, put an absorbent pad underneath and put fluid in. This morning, it appears it has all leaked out.

Thoughts on what this could be? Could I have damaged anything beyond repair?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I have the same transmissions in my Uniflite. i've had 1 that leaked and was leaking from a seam in the transmission. had to have the transmission pulled to repair correctly.

just this month the main seal of the port transmission had to be replaced. again, had to have the transmission pulled to replace.

if all the fluid leaked out without the running the engine you have a major issue. need to repair that leak ASAP

Last edited:
I have a 79 and run at about same RPM, that too only gets me about 12 knots, have you pushed any faster, i have had mine 2 years and have been too afraid to go above 3k in fear ill blow up one of the Vdrives, it just seems to be way to slow for ???? am i wrong or is it just a slow boat? should i push above 3K??

jb - thanks for the input. I am arranging to have it looked at. I know prices may vary by location, but any idea what I should expect in terms of hours/parts costs?

amantinori - I have not pushed mine much harder although I think it could handle it. What exactly is your concern with the V-Drive?

jb - thanks for the input. I am arranging to have it looked at. I know prices may vary by location, but any idea what I should expect in terms of hours/parts costs?

in my experience it's about 10-12hr labor to remove and replace a transmission in my boat. depends on how accessible your transmissions.

if it's just the seals, the parts are cheap.

if your transmission needs to be rebuilt you can add another $700-$1000

Ugh......I am being told $1900.00 (on the high side) to rebuild the transmission and another $1650.00 for labor. Now, on my boat the engines/transmissions are very accessible through the hatches in the cockpit area. This seems very high.....

Ugh......I am being told $1900.00 (on the high side) to rebuild the transmission and another $1650.00 for labor. Now, on my boat the engines/transmissions are very accessible through the hatches in the cockpit area. This seems very high.....

that does seem high. where are you located? i'm in Huntington Beach, CA

my mechanic is $70hr I paid $840 for the R/R of the transmission and a little more for fluid and seals.

i thought i read on a boating forum that it's about $1000 for a rebuilt paragon transmission? i'm sure fastjeff or someone else might have more info :)

I have a 77 31' Silveton as well. If you have the lifting gear, it is way faster to pull the whole motor and remove the tranny after. Trying to get it seperated and lift it out while bent over with your head under the floor is one of the most horrible jobs I have ever done, and I fix boats for a living. You can re work the tranny youself if you have a good mechanical background, if not, have it done by a professional.

I am located east and will do some more checking around before I commit to this.

Is there anything else I should consider having done while this is being completed? As long as it is layed up and partially apart, I would llike to address anything that may be in the general area......

On another note, at what point do you say enough when it comes to an older boat? I would be curious as to others who have been in or seen similar situations and the decision making process on major repairs/upgrades.

If you are in the NY area, there is a good trans place in Deer Park Long Island called L.I marine engine and trans ph # 631-2425757. He rebuilt my 72 walter vee for 1300$ two yrs ago and never a problem. Also I have a paragon trans sitting wrapped up in my garage, Came with the 318 I replaced in my boat, couldnt use it, so its sitting there, should work fine if you are interested, I'm in Brooklyn NY. You could have it for almost nothing, if its the right one, think its a pv 31, not sure.

loid58 - I would be interested in yours for sure. Mine is a PV33R. I am in the NY area so this would be very convenient. I will send you a private message here with more details.

Back