Logo

1982 305 cracked block removal

rwc

I just got here and did somewhat of a search but didn't get far. I have a 82 Sea arrow with a merc 305 in it that's cracked. Tried JB Weld and got the leak stopped outside but waters going in the oil. I have located a 305 block and intend to pull the motor. What is the process? Sterndrive removal and then the motor? If someone can put me on a previous link I appreciate it. Sorta new to boating but have mechanical abilities. All is appreciated and thanks.

Re: 305 cracked block removal

You're gonna need a manual.
Would the replacement block happen to be out of a car or truck? Many parts are identical, but a car engine isn't really suitable for a boat. You'll wear it out pretty quickly. Imagine driving a car up the steepest hill you can find at 75MPH, pulling a trailer... continuously. That's the beating that boat engines take.
Also, nothing electrical from the car to the boat (i.e., starter, alternator, distributor.)
and definately not the carburator, boat carbs are vented internal to the flame arrestor.
All that being said, yes pull the drive off first. Is this an Alpha drive? ...disconnect the lift cylinders and the speedometer tube, 6 nuts on the upper unit, and it pulls right out. You'll need a new bell housing gasket, drive unit pilot gasket, and some o-rings on the drive shaft and water port. For a boat that old, I'd replace the gimbal bearing while I have the drive off.
Do what you need to do with the engine, then you'll need an alignment tool before you put the drive back on.

Re: 305 cracked block removal

Thanks, it's an automotive block but I plan to have it dipped bored and install new pistons, lifters etc. I hope to use my starter, intake, carb etc off my existing engine. I read where the difference in marine and auto blocks was minimal except for bronze freeze plugs in the block. After removing the drive does the bell housing come out with the motor? Best to remove manifolds, intake carb etc before pulling it out? Thanks again.

Back