Logo

Fuel tank fittings

tedm2

Contributing Member
I have an aluminum fuel tank that I need to add a fuel return elbow too.
The existing elbow, the pick up tube, and the anti-siphon nipple are all aluminum. The only new ones I have been able to locate in 3/8" are brass. Is there any problem using brass on the fuel tank?
I am also replacing the sending unit and the new senders I have seen, all have stainless bolts and I thought that aluminum and stainless do not mix. My old bolts are not in any shape to be reused.

I see different metals on the fuel tanks all the time and have never come up with a problem with it. I'm no expert on metals but have seen quite a few fuel tanks in boats.

I put in a brass Tee fitting in the rubber vent line. Works great. Just be sure the vent outlet is well above the return. Mine is as close to the tank as I could get it.

No, EFI conversion. The high pressure fuel pump has an fuel return outlet for fuel not needed by the engine. It needs to be routed back to the fuel tank.

any time you mix metals, you run the risk of galvanic corrosion if the fittings get 'wet'. The preferred practice is to use all aluminum hardware due to your tank.

That said, I, too, have seen many 'mixed metal' fuel fitting installations with only a few that had issues.

As far as your return fitting - have you checked for an existing bung with a plug in it?

I'd be very reluctant to use the return line as a permanent return port.

A Marine EFI, or any marine FI, will not use a fuel return line. So, you are attempting to install an automotive FI system, and is sort of what I figured when I first posted.
In fact, I posted to that effect, but did an edit and removed it! Wan't quite sure.

Are you aware of the potential issues in using the automotive FI system?

I do have an extra port on the fuel tank to add a return or supply.
The motor was sold as a marine engine manufactured by Indmar for marine use

Back